17.5K views
Resolved

Update by user Jul 28, 2015

I'm still with Vivint for now, but it hasn't been an easy journey. In the time I've been with Vivint I've had so many outages that required me to wait multiple days without internet to get a technician to my house.

I've only survived because I used my phone as a hotspot.

Initially, I had to have my radio replaced 3 or 4 times just because they didn't ground it the first few times and it kept dying. Since they grounded it, they haven't had to replace it.

When I originally signed up, the technician that installed it showed me a map that showed there were two access points I could point to. One time I had a technician come out to fix it after I lost internet and I asked him if he could try pointing the radio at the other AP to see if it would fix the speed issues. He refused.

Much later another tech came out to fix my internet outage again and he pointed it at the other AP no problem. Since then I've had much better speeds (I can actually get the 45-50 Mb I've been paying for).

However, I've had a problem for many months now where I lose internet every minute or so for a few seconds, even before pointing at the new AP. It just keeps cutting out. I asked them once if they would replace the radio (because that's what I suspect the problem is) and they wouldn't.

I probably need to start bugging them about it again because it's very annoying.

All in all, I can't say I've been very happy with my experience. I've needed far too many technicians to come out and it takes them far too long to come (they don't work Sundays apparently either).

I still hang on because I like the price, the speeds (when it works) and I don't really like my other options. But more and more I'm tempted to crawl back to CenturyLink.

Original review posted by user Aug 12, 2014

I signed up for their 50 Mb wireless internet. At first all I could get was speeds around 15-20 Mb. They had a couple different technicians come out at which point they replaced the radio and said the first one wasn't aligned properly. Since then I've been able to get about 30-35 Mb - a far cry from the 50 promised. I've had another technician come out and take a look and it seems that no one has an explanation. They've just said that there is ongoing work on the backend, replacing old equipment and such that should hopefully solve the problem in the next 6 months.

Frustrating, but whatever. Then I come home a couple days ago and find that I have no internet at all. I called them up and after a few other things they have me unplug the PoE injector and plug it in again to reboot the radio on the roof. Nothing. They ended up scheduling a technician to come out a full two days later! I'm a software engineer and I need internet for a living. You'd think that they might prioritize people with absolutely NO internet over other lower priority jobs, but no. Just wait your turn. So they're supposed to come by noon today. That's in 20 minutes and I haven't heard anything yet.

I'm incredibly frustrated to say the least. I want to like them because I really don't want to go back to CenturyLink, but I can't afford to be without internet like this for two days!

Comments

#1382046

I live in El Paso, TX and I don’t recommend vivint. Their internet is unreliable and refuse to give you credit for all the days you have no internet.

I switched to spectrum and couldn’t be happier. I regret not getting spectrum before.

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada #1316890

This Vivint company sucks.. We have asked for help by phoning them..

why this company in Utah of Vivint not helping Canadian people in Regina, Saskatchewan at all.. all we see it was low battery but where is that coming from.. I would suggest people in Canada do not buy Vivint at all..

no help.. this company sucks pretty bad..

Richmond, Virginia, United States #1260265

I'm being having the same issues since day one. I believe some one needs to sue this guys. Is any one knows where can we legit complain about this?

to Anonymous #1474398

Yes , it's time to sue Vivint; I spent 1356.00 at Best Buy for their "Smart Home System".. I had to leave town (which was the primary reason for getting the system installed).

At about 90 days (not even the full 120 days).. the system just quit working, I couldn't check in on security from my phone. I was several hundred miles away when this happened, and could not get back into town until April. The system was installed in Sept.

2017...it failed Dec. 23, 2017.. I could not get back until April 2018. I spent hours discussing this issue and was assured not to worry, everything was probably ok, it was more or less an internet problem and they wanted to know if there was anyone I trusted who could go to the house to access the panel!HUH?

Yeah, that makes perfect sense, just give somebody my key. When I arrived home in April, the system was not active, the panel had froze. The door bell didn't work, the out door camera didn't work, I was surprised also there was no alarm voice after my entrance. They then said they'd send a tech out.

Tech did not show up. They then rescheduled; Tech called and canceled, said, I'd have to reschedule. I got back online with the chat and made another appointment. She rescheduled for today May 3 from 10a-12p.

However, I noticed I had an email I didn't open until yesterday ... it was the chat operator saying Our chat was disconnected before I could finish scheduling the technician. Our system is having issues so it did NOT schedule the technician. I will try to schedule this a little bit later.

I'll keep you updated. I said, WHAT? I saved the chat, that confirmed the appointment. I still have not heard back.

It has been months of pure b.s. -- at one point I spoke to their loyalty department and wanted a full refund because the service failed in the first 90 days while I was out of town. They said they couldn't do that, but they credited 199.00 for past months of it not working.

I am so sick of this... it's been a constant headache.

Internet was down all weekend. We made sure it was nothing on our end.

We even follow the instructions on their website. Which I had to access using my phone data.

It was incredibly frustrating to have to wait 3 days to use something I pay for either way. This was the 3rd time this month that we lost service for more than 6 hours.

I am having the same issue with them. Piece of $#%* service.

#1111972

My router would only support 35mg connection speeds, Vivint gave me a new one and bam I am well over 70-80 everyday.

#1091959

I'm in San Antonio and I'm getting 5.54 down and 28 up...this sucks.

Your very patient. I dealt with it for a few months then cancelled.

Similar experiences with techs having to come out frequently and talking to tech support all the time... Glad I cancelled

James

SrPete
to Anonymous #1149150

Were you able to cancel w/o penalties? If so how?

When the Internet goes down, it is EXTREMELY difficult to contact Vivent!!!!

Vivint - the "most unreliable network". I've had Vivint wireless for 3 months now and have never been so frustrated in my life.

I've had several outages which lasted over 4-8 hrs each. I need internet for work and cannot have this type of unreliable service. Every time you call, you have to wait to speak with someone to who just tells you "there is a area wide outage and they're working on it... there is not an ETA yet but we have technicians working on it trying to figure it out.

They currently don't know what's going on? " -- WOW. That instills confidence in the product.

I had a similar technology in DIGIS for over 2 years and never had these kind of outages nor this type of service in over the 2 years I was with them. I would never recommend them to my worst enemies and it's unfortunate because I like the company Vivint and what they do here in the community.

#1041965

This is by far the worst of the worst. I would rather have dial up than this inconsistent worthless service.

This type of service should not even qualify for a third world country. The worrest part is that the suckered you into a two year contract. Now I know why.

The custumer service is the worst. Unless you like being placed on hold for thirty minutes then told you have to wait for three to six days for a technician to come over and assist you I would stick to the slower AT&T u-verse or whatever other service you have

I'm still waiting for my space monkey... technician said he didn't have it with him cuz he didn't know he was supposed to bring it...

he said they were going to call me to make an appointment... I'm still here waiting for that call since a week ago...

internet is to slow and they promised 50 to 100 mb but my phone laptop...r very slow... I can't even watch a movie on netflix cuz of the internet...

#1020072

Iam a so called hub. And I was Told that for being a hub I would get free internet.

At 50 mbps. Not it's been at 12 to15 mbps. Ive had 4 teck's here at the house an 6 phone teck's. An have gotten no were.

Looking like I need to get there *** off my roof.Do not go with vivint.

Not even for free. There a joke !!!!!

Crappy service. I have been fighting with them for over a week, because they do not carry a secure enough connection to connect to a us.army.mil site.

They keep telling me they are fixing the problem and will give me a static ip, because supposedly this will solve the issue. If your military and need to access any military site avoid!!!

For the second time in 4 months, my Internet has gone down and, just like the first time, it'll take about a week for tech support to get to my house. I should have stayed with Comcast. #vivintsucks

I fully agree, we signed up for Vivint internet back in October 2014. We were sold on the fast speed and reliability when running multiple devices.

Well reality set in and we were consistently getting 20 mb and lower. In addition, the radio went out once per month. This was not ok especially when my children needed the Internet for school and watching Netflix. Nothing quite like a grumpy 2 year old who can't get her morning fix of Curious George.

If we tried to run our phones, TV, iPads, and laptops, we could not do it simultaneously without the whole thing running ridiculously slow.

Even with just two devices on the Internet it wouldn't run. For instance, if my wife was on Facebook and I was trying to check my email, it would take about 5 minutes of buffer time.

It has been raining here in El Paso Texas for the last month and It seems like every time it rains the Internet goes down. Last time they had to switch the antenna on my roof after it rained.

I'm getting tired of this issues!!

Everything was good till it started to rain. I wonder if their antennas are water proof.

to Anonymous #1081630

I live in El Paso, TX and I also have issues with vivint. I regret changing to vivint.

Not only when it rains the internet goes down, but also when it's windy or for any other unknown reason. I need the Internet for a living, and this is the most unreliable Internet.

I should of stayed with what I had Time Warner. Planning in switching back once the contract ends.