map-marker Columbia, Illinois

Vivint Sucks!

Vivint Sucks! Everything happened, high pressure and deceitful sales tactics, faulty equipment, works about half the time, slow response times on alarm's, hard to understand techs or service personal because of poor or broken English. Read the reviews before you sign anything with these crooks, google vivint lawsuits and complaints youll be shocked and wonder how they remain in business

User's recommendation: Find a local alarm company, corporations like Vivint only want to sell you stuff

Vivint Hater

Verified Buyer

| map-marker Columbia, Illinois

To spread the word about this horrible company!

Vivint - To spread the word about this horrible company!
Vivint - To spread the word about this horrible company! - Image 2
Vivint - To spread the word about this horrible company! - Image 3

I've written reviews about this company many times since purchasing one of their systems two years ago, none of those good, the response from the company usually sounds something like this, "we're sorry you've had this experience please call 800-blah, blah", you call, and you get, oh it's your internet, we can send a service person out at a charge to your account, we can give you a few dollars off your bill for your inconvenience, you have to be at home in order for us to help you, my favorite is when you call and get a tech whom you are unable to understand or there is so much background noise you can't understand because they're in a call center thousands of miles away taking calls from the many unhappy customers they have.

I can go on about the deceptive and high-pressure sales tactics they're salespersons employ, about the equipment that works half the time and the constant sales pitches to upgrade your equipment so on and so on...

All said and done I'm out $4000 in equipment and on the hook for $55.90 a month for 5 years, I'm hoping maybe to raise awareness of these scammers, so no other good people get taken by these crooks.

First and foremost, do the research on this company, you'll see attached here are some google search results that show the massive amount of lawsuits and complaints filed against this company. Fox 13 out of Utah did a really reveling piece on them, worth checking out.

They also have a solar division which also has lots of litigation against it, so beware of this if your looking for solar.

Some towns, cities, villages have ordinances governing solicitation, ours requires a company to have a permit, I found this out after we had one Vivint salesperson come to our home 3 times in one day and I called the local police department, yes you guessed it they had no permit.

Warranty, I was unable to read the fine print clearly on my paperwork, like the trusting and or dumb person that I am, I took the salespersons word for it, when things started not to add up I sought and obtained a clearer version of that warranty from the company, I've attached a copy of that also.

Installation, showed up after the salesperson left 9pm just to scope the job for the next day, so we were told, well the installers said "no we're here to install, it will only take about an hour" well it was after 12am when they left our home. Multiple holes were drilled in one wall to install one small wire, Wi-Fi bridges tucked behind furniture (these devises get hot, hence the perforations on either side of the device), cheap 3 way plug-in devices were used to plug in equipment, wonder what the local fire marshal would have to say about these practices, maybe I'll give him a call on that next.

Learned to improvise, downloaded an app from my cable provider so that I can reboot my router when we're away from home to get my cameras back online when they go out, which is often, Vivint can't help you with this if you're not in the home.

Hope these helps another.

Pros:
  • There are no pros to this system
  • There are no pros
Caelyn Nro

Verified Reviewer

Scammers, poor equipment, over priced

Talked to a SALESMAN for an hour about everything we needed, top to bottom. I was very thorough and technical with my words. I repeated things to make sure the understood. The SALESMAN was smart and kept up. STRAIGHT UP HE LIED AND LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING. I ended the conversation asking, "So there will be no surprises or change in price right??" He said, "Yes that's right", I said "You sure?", "Yup! Now I'm going home to be with my two dogs blah blah blah"...When the TECHNICIAN got to my house everything changed and was surprising me all over the place. PRICES TRIPLED, CAMERA SYSTEMS NOT COMPATIBLE, ETC. ETC.

I could write so much but I'm done wasting time. Bottom line, they got lucky, I cancelled all other appointments with security companies for that week, I wanted to save time and money, AND, I was so confident they were the best service based on my conversation with the salesman. I was forced into the contract because I had to submit proof of security services for my house to the insurance company by the next day. I was forced into setting up the vivint service or lose my insurance. It was too late to set up any other appointments. So, I got the base package, I'll pay off the equipment, then leave. The technicians were real with me at least. They were okay. But I will not stay with a company that has such dishonest people working for them and such crap equipment.

EDIT: Since I can't reply to the Vivint reply, I'll add it here. I received multiple emails from your company since installation to review the various experiences, none of the links work. I emailed you that they didn't work. I have not received a reply. I'm really tired of all the extra work I've put in at this point...but I am somewhat considerate this salesman might be solely messing with your company so I want to help. If I provide the information to you so you can give me proof he was fired, I'll change my review. If not I will assume the salesman's tactics are that of the company. Either he is working rogue or he is following orders. You tell us...

UPDATE: Still the worst company on the planet

UPDATE: Not more than a few months in...the panel touchscreen stopped working. We entered the house with the alarm on and couldn't turn it off. Finally fixed it today..."software bug"...

ALSO, during the initial set up they hooked up our existing motion sensor to the system. They said it was totally fine. Not, the motion sensor started going off all the time with the slightest movement so we tried to turn it off. Turning it off didn't work. We had to delete the sensor from the system altogether. So now when we go out of town it can't be easily set back up again. We have to call the company to reactivate the sensor...OR, buy the Vivint motion sensor.

This crap the salesman gave me about Vivint being the "APPLE" of security systems is a load of crap. Apple is high quality equipment. Vivint is all cheap garbage with no versatility outside of it's own company.

3-13-2023: Still wasting more time with the company. I kept telling them to check the phone call I had with the salesman so they didn't have to trust my word for everything. They kept asking me to explain. I told them enough and I wasn't wasting MORRRRRE of my time. Finally got a response. Very slow response times for every email btw. Ridiculously slow. And here's why that matters. Apparently they only keep phone calls with the company for 30 days. 30 DAYS. They can only keep a 1 megabyte file for 30 days. A SECURITY COMPANY. So now they are unable to listen to the phone call because it's taken so damn long for them to check it out. I tried filling out all their review forms from the beginning but none of them worked, I emailed them immediately they didn't work, time time time time past, now we are at the point of no return thanks to them. That sleazy salesman can't be held accountable. Not that I'm fully blaming the salesman. At this point, I'm almost sure it's the company instituting the sleazy sales tactics and he is just being a good soldier. REMEMBER EVERYONE! This...is...a...SECURITY COMPANY. More wasted time updating but if you are reading this I hope it save you. I care about people. Unlike this company.

UPDATE 3-15-2024: CANCELLED! The system would go off for no reason. The panel would glitch and lock up so you couldn't turn it off. You'd be trying to talk to an agent through the alarm panel that is literally going off in your ears. This morning it went off for no reason couldn't be shut off, had to talk to someone on my cellphone where they told me to rip it off the wall and remove the battery. That is how easy it is to shut the system off. They gave an offer then took the offer back. This company is a scam. The equipment is bad. Get any other company. A year ago they offered a 50% discount on the bad equipment or to cancel the system. I waited to respond, then got busy, we didn't use the system for a year, started to use it for a month and had non-stop problems. After this morning I call them and say I'm done I want to cancel. They say the offer they gave previously is off the table. I told them they didn't give me a time limit on the offer. He talks to his other co-workers and says they all agree it can be assumed the offer given was only valid for a couple days or a couple weeks and that's why they closed the offer on their end. I was never told by anyone there was a limit on the offer. They admitted that on the phone but still said they couldn't offer it again. They only way to cancel my service was to pay off the equipment in full. $3000 dollars later I cancelled it. This whole process took 2 hours.

This company will scam you and rip you off. The equipment is extremely poor quality and waaaay too expensive. I have spent way too much time dealing with them and now writing this review. People need to know, don't ever get this service, I hope at least I saved one person the *** I've gone through with them..

Loss:
Cons:
  • Equipment only works with vivint
  • Poor quality
  • Lies and scams

Preferred solution: I got nothing

User's recommendation: Any other company with equipment that works for other services

Nadeja B Ktj

Extremely Poor Service

Vivint - Extremely Poor Service
Vivint - Extremely Poor Service - Image 2
Vivint - Extremely Poor Service - Image 3
Vivint - Extremely Poor Service - Image 4

On 12/13/2023, I had Vivint alarm security system installed. The first two days fine then bamb.

The panel was consistanly online & offline and I was unable to view any activity on my phone.

Addition to the that, the technician who did the installion put up door bell for the front door.

In doing so, he knock something off which resulted in NO electricity power on the box outside. I have to run an extensin cord through my mailbox for my Christmas decoration.

The company is aware that you're having issues on your panel yet youre binded to a contract when you want to cancel the poor service.

I'll let the judge decide because their NOT going to ruin my credit.

Loss:
Cons:
  • If the product aint right youll hear about it

Preferred solution: Cancellation

User's recommendation: Look at the reviews. The company has issues & try to bind you to a contract.

Tracy L Rdb

Horrible customer service

Everytime i call i get a call center overseas and they are useless. I never get my issue taken care of. I will now have to wait until monday when im off and try to to talk to a usa rep. If they dont exist, i will cancel vivint because our contract is over. This is ridiculous that I only ever get the useless overseas call centers.
Cons:
  • Horrible customer service
  • All overseas call centers

Preferred solution: More availability fir USA based customer service reps instead of the useless overseas call centers

User's recommendation: Don't do it!

Demetria C Nba

Property Damage and Defective Sensor

I have two defective motion sensors with the latest one causing damage to my walls along with the original one leaving *** in the wall. Requesting a supervisor to contact me for a resolution.

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Demand a technician come out

Wanda B Hha

| map-marker Provo, Utah

Pissed off customer!!

Terrible customer service!!! My sister had to cancel her account because she has altheimers and had to move into assisted living.

We received a letter that said her account wa closed on December 11,2023

All billing had been deactivated. But she had automatic withdrawal, and in December,January, and February she was charged for each month. I called on March 4, 2024 and talked to someone in loyalty I think. He looked up the account even though she couldn't remember the passcode.

He said he couldn't find any charges for Jan, Feb. He transfered me to another department and a woman answered. She kept telling me she had to have the passcode. She kept trying to tell me she could send the passcode to email.

We have no email. She said she could mail the passcode to the address on the account. My sister sold her house in December. She would not help us without the passcode.

I then asked to speak to a supervisor. I was put on hold at least 10 times with a 5 to 7 minute wait in between. After 2 hours on the phone I hung up.(had an appointment). Why couldn't

they help on a closed account without a passcode?

The first guy got into the account without the passcode and he didn't act like it was a big deal.

So 2 hours wasted and still don't have anything resolved. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Loss:
Cons:
  • Poor customer service

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don't deal with them

Tenesha J

Verified Reviewer

I was not informed that this would go on my credit report

When I signed up for the service, I intended to pay off the system in full. I was informed that if I paid it off in full, my monthly bill would be $35 by if I were to pay off the system in payments, my monthly charge would be $25. Instead of paying off the system, I just went on a payment play. Two months after I signed up, I got notification about a new loan on my credit report. When I called the loan office, I found out it was for Vivint.

Preferred solution: I want the loan removed from my credit report

User's recommendation: If you don't want a loan listed on your credit report, either pay the system off or get another service

map-marker Tallahassee, Florida

Concerning sales tactics

I would like to file a formal complaint against the sales person who approach us today.

My partner and I were approached by one of your reps who was walking the street in our neighborhood. As he was walking up our driveway he said, Stephen?, asking for my partner as though he knew him.

We found it very unsettling. After an uncomfortable conversation, we were left feeling as though our privacy had been violated. How did this person have my partners name even though they had never met? Is this a sales tactic that is approved by your company?

If so, we find that unacceptable.

We are concerned about whether this individual actually works for Vivint. He also mentioned our neighbors by name and even went so far as to show us a picture of them with your rep as a way to get us to buy-in to the Vivint systems. Did our neighbors sign an agreement to have photos of them and their newborn baby shown to prospective customers? You are a SECURITY company, not Instagram.

How else are you using your customers PII? The only thing that I can think of is that your customers are not reading the DPA and privacy policy in your TOS. For a security company, again, I find this unacceptable.

Please never contact us again. Do not send us mailers or any marketing materials.

Please opt us out of anything that on your website or otherwise that collects our data for your companys use. We will not be purchasing your services based on this experience.

In my opinion, privacy and security go hand-in-hand, and Vivint is missing the mark.

To be clear, if this sales rep does work for your company, this complaint is not a criticism of him or his work. He is working to make a living like anyone else. His name is Kevin (didnt catch his last name) and he lives in Orlando.

Please confirm that this person actually works for Vivint and that you have filed this complaint. I will be reaching out to the BBB as well.

Regards,

Caitlin

User's recommendation: Go with a trusted brand like ADT

Jeff S Rrt

Verified Buyer
| map-marker Salt Lake City, Utah

Partial and faulty install

Vivint - Partial and faulty install

Vivant only partially installed our system. Most of the indoor cameras fo not record activity.

There is no way to record 24/7. The thermostat doesn't work. The doorbell doesn't record activity. The outdoor cameras were never installed.

Customer service says they will not finish the install. If I remove the products myself, I can't receive a refund since I canceled. Now, 5 days later, during winter, I have no doorbell, and no functioning thermostat. The panel they installed doesn't work with half my vivant products.

There is no end in sight for my situation. I have spent several hours on hold with customer service with no resolution in sight. I can't even hire a new security company to install a new system, or I'll be stuck buying thousands in overpriced products that don't function. Each time I call customer service, they send me an email saying I agreed to some add-on and contract extension, charging more each month.

This, despite the fact that I signed a cancelation agreement. I think I just need a lawyer at this point.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Bad customer service
  • No full time camera footage
  • New panel incompatible with most products

Preferred solution: Compensation for lost work or 17 hours, release from contract to remove their system and return it

User's recommendation: Don't do it

Jewels P Hkq

| map-marker Salt Lake City, Utah

No access to our personal account & Over charged for equipment

December 17th, 2023, we had a salesman come to our home. We invited him in and signed a contract with him.

That very night, we were told that the "entire system would be set up," and we were thrilled. That was the first lie. We waited one more week for the cameras and lights to be installed. Cameras were installed, but no lights.

We were then told that the lights would be established three days latersecond lie. January 3rd, 2024, the lights were finally installed.

On December 18th, 2023, we tried to get into our account with Vivint. We were denied access. We placed a phone call, and nobody could help us, so we were promised a phone call from Tech supportno phone call and still no access to our account.

Finally, on December 27th, 2023, we placed another phone call to Vivint and spent over two hours on the phone, getting nowhere other than being promised that "Tech support would call us in 5-10 days to help resolve our issue." Third lie. Unsurprisingly, we did not receive a phone call from anyone. So, again, I called Vivint, and again, there was no help, and we still can not access our account!

In the meantime, how could our security system cost us $4,000?!? Doing a little digging, I discovered that we were charged for MANY things we don't even have.

I then found out that the Premium Package Plus is only $2,398! I found all the prices for the exact things in our home and contacted the salesman; he lied and told me that the "panel we have cost a whopping $1,600." Looking at Vivint's website, the cost is $399.99

It doesn't end there. Our credit was run, and we were given a "loan" for $4,000. The total cost for equipment is slightly over $3,800.

Where is the remaining money, seeing that Vivint charged Fortiva $4,000?

I have tried many times to contact someone from Vivint, but I keep getting ignored or told, "5-10 days." We still can not access our account, we are continuing to be ignored, we were lied to over and over as well as HELLA overcharged and charged for things we DONT EVEN HAVE!

I have sent numerous emails. It's no surprise they have all gone ignored. This is my last attempt at getting to the bottom of the overcharges, missing money, and why we are being denied access to our account.

We have been more than patient with Vivint. What I am not patient with is being lied to and stolen from!

My husband works hard for his money, just like all others do. To have a man sit in our home and deceive us is unexpectable!

This issue needs to be fixed by the end of the week.

We deserve answers! I will further escalate this situation!

I can't give you a "Order or Contract ID

BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO ANYTHING AND THE SALESMAN NEVER WROTE IT DOWN!

Loss:
Cons:
  • Worst customer service
  • No help with issues and very dishonest

Preferred solution: A fix to all the overcharging! Ability to get into our account!!! Stop being dishonest!!!

User's recommendation: STAY AWAY THEY ARE VERY DISHONEST!

Resolved
Deaundra Cso

| map-marker Charlotte, North Carolina

Resolved: Billing

Military family have used them for over 15 years on many bases my husband was medically retired and we moved bought a home we got over 8 cameras for our house and free handing over over $4,000 dollars it took them over 8 months to fully install our system then I go to disconnect due to a ptsd hospital episode with my husband who lost his job due to it I canceled our system. Come to find out 6 months later they took over 550$ from my account and are now telling me it was never disconnected and now I owe over 1700$!!! So Ive been on the phone with them for over an hour half to resolve this my dads dying Im trying to pack to fly home tomorrow and cant bc if I get disconnected going home Ill have to start all over again!

User's recommendation: STAY AWAY

reply icon Replying to comment of Aizik Uqb

Hello

View more comments (2)
map-marker Dallas, Texas

Scheduled technician to come and install fire alarm and garage door

Make an appointment for technician to come over to install the fire alarm and the garage door opener which wasnt done on the day of the initial job. Technician showed up an hour later than he said he would be there. When he got there, he put in the fire alarm however said he did not have a work order to do the garage door opener even though we have the components sitting there at our house. Now need to call back and get someone to come out again to complete the installation of our system. Ill

User's recommendation: Make sure they repeat exactly what you want done! Maybe you need to have them repeat and repeat!

map-marker Mesquite, Texas

Unable to reach anyone on phone numbers on the Internet

Finally was able to reach someone that connected us to customer loyalty at VIVINT. Her name was Anya and she was very helpful, friendly professional, and took care of all of my needs now if VIVINT reimburses us for our Previous contract. It will be perfect.
GCS

Unable to Cancel Service

The sales process of buying into the service was very smooth. The service was in my name for my elderly mother.

After two years of using the service, my mother took a turn for the worst and no longer able to live independently. I tried to cancel the service for now two months, starting on December 1st, 2023, without any success. I have tried to cancel four times over the last two months, with very long phone calls. I even received a service charge for Dec.

2023 and Jan. 2024, when the system is completely offline.

I was given a long reading of the policy on cancellation during the first call, and was told I couldn't cancel because my mother is not on the account. I also was told I had to pay off the equipment loan to cancel the service on a different call. I then was told on my third call that I had to pay the service charges when the service is offline.

I said no. I was threatened that my credit score will be impacted if I don't pay.

I have filed a dispute with my bank and block the charges from coming in.

Pros:
  • Smooth selling
Cons:
  • Unable to cancel

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Do not get trapped!

brian s Rvm

WORST COMPANY EVER!

I had them installed, and for 5 months, the system kept dropping off the cellular, and the panel did not work. I went through *** and they want me to pay for the monthly fees and are trying to hold me responsible for paying for the entire 3-year contract when their system does not work.

The technician didn't show up 3 times when they scheduled to come to my house. I took time off from work, and they didn't show.

I called them, and they continued giving me the runaround.

Save your money and go with ADT or another reliable company. If you google this company, you will see that they use search engine tactics to hide their lawsuits and bad BBB reviews.

This has officially been the worst company I have EVER dealt with.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Panel and sensors do not work and horrible service

User's recommendation: Do reseach with other reputable companies

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article