Vivint Alarm - suckers old folks into alarm and contract

Terrible Company!!!!! They give away a "FREE" alarm system...........only catch..........39 month service contract............then wait, before the contract is due to expire...........they call and ask are you pleased with your alarm would you like to keep the "FREE" system that we gave you............and when the vulnerable old person says yes..........unknowingly they are suckered into wait...........an additional 42 month "agreement" the only way out of the agreement is to die!!

wow, they love their customers don't they....................!!!! Man, how do you guys sleep at night?

sell the house in which the system was installed............wait, guess who gets the bill........the vulnerable old person who was taken advantage of.........thanks for taking care of my mom Vivent........I needed your help!! Looking for recommendations - sure wont find them from our experience

Vivint Reply:
We're sorry that you had a bad experience with out company! We pride ourselves on having the best customer service in the industry. Our customers should be able to rely on us any time, day or night, which is why our reps are available 24x7x365 to resolve any issue that comes our way. If you're experiencing difficulties with your system or your service please give us a call at 800.216.5232, or email us at support@vivint.com for assistance. We also welcome any feedback on our products and services. Thank you!
Loss

VIVINT Thank you, you made it right

I contacted Vivint via their website and email. I asked if I could have a very particular type of service and was assured that i could get it, no contract on/off as required.

We agreeded and I had a system installed. Then came the confusion when I asked for them to stop monitoring for 9 months and then start again for 3 months. We don't do that said vivint, I said you agreeded you would. After checking the phone calls and emails they agreeded they had and said they would stick by that agreement and posted a note on the account to let reps know about the agreement.

Today I called to have the system monitoried and asked the rep to look at the note. He then said OK and the system is now monitoried for 3 months only.

through the hole process Vivint staff have been very professional. I would highly recommend them.

ID

Vivint lied about terms of contract....

I had a salesperson come to my house for Vivint Home security. When I agree to the contract, I was told it would be for a period of 36 months.

I was also told that I would be able to opt-out of the contract at any time. After having contacted Vivint, I was told that I had a 60 month contract with 6 months remaining.

I was also told that I could not opt-out of this contract, unless I found someone to take over the contract or pay the balance in full. The person on the phone then had the audacity to tell me that I could upgrade my system with a new contract and gain monthly savings through reduced energy usage.

Vivint Reply:
Vivint thanks this customer for their feedback. In the event of malfunction, repair, rather than cancellation is the appropriate course of action. To minimize the risk of external factors impacting an appointment, Vivint gives customers a 3 hour arrival window. Customers are typically called 1-2 days before the appointment as a reminder notification and we are available 24/7 to check the status of open work orders. We are committed to reaching a resolution and encourage this individual to get in touch with our Customer Care team to address any and all issues they may be encountering. They are available 24/7 at 800-216-5232.

The exact same thing happened to me and I am also in the MD area. I was told 36-months of which I was prepared to pay off the remaining balance of my term when moving to a home with an existing system (different provider).

When I called the customer service center I was told my contract was for a total of 60-months. A huge difference if opting to pay out of my contract...

Love the service; however, having been mislead I will never renew or refer others.

Vivint

My 39 month contract expired in September 2012. I sent a letter to let them know I didn't want to renew another 39 month contract but they have refused to cancel my service and continue to bill me $54.11 a month.

The representative I spoke to said they didn't receive my letter within the 30 days prior to contract end so therefore I would be locked into another 39 month contract!! We live on a fixed income and will be moving soon and will not need their service anyway.

DO NOT USE VIVINT!!!!! Their customer service is the WORST!!

Vivint Reply:
Vivint thanks this customer for sharing their experience. Vivint requires written notice of cancellation to be on file 30 days prior to the end of the agreement and request this notice remain on file for at least one billing cycle. Vivint has updated policy since this review was submitted and situations like the one outlined here are now reviewed on a case-by-case basis. We encourage this customer to contact our Customer Loyalty team at their earliest convenience.
Service
Vivint Customer Care

VIVINT INC, PROVO UTAH BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE

THree years ago I had a home security system installed in the place I was renting. At that time the company was called APX.

Do to circumstances I had to move and could not transfer the system to my new place. I called APX and explained they told me sorry, I have to keep paying until my contract expires and they did not have a cancellation fee. I they inactivated the system and it has been like that for over two years. I called this past summer to find out when my last payment would be they told me in November 2012.

At that time they should have told me that if I wanted to cancel the service be sure to call back before (30 days before due date to cancel contract in writing). Nothing was said. Well it is December and I noticed that my account was debited by Vivint. I called to inquire why and I was told it was an automatic renewal and they did not have a written cancellation request on file.

I told them okay, to go ahead and cancel it now and refund my money. They told they could do neither. Because I did not cancel before November that I was in a contract for another year on an alarm system I had deactivated over 2 years ago! They told me to try and sell my contract on Craigslist!

I am appalled at the their business practice. He told me that all of this was in my contract, yes it maybe there but it was not explained in that manner and plus it was over three years ago. I am going to get legal advice.

This is so ridiculous. These predatory companies need to sued or penalized for these types of practices.

Vivint Reply:
Vivint thanks this customer for their feedback and for taking the time to submit a review with Pissed Consumer. Vivint allows customers to transfer responsibility for their agreement and system to a third party; alternatively, the balance on the account can be paid off at any time. We require written notice of cancellation to remain on file for 30 days prior to cancellation and apologize for any misinformation provided to this customer. Corporate policy has changed since this review was submitted and we encourage this customer to speak with our Customer Loyalty team.
Loss

Vivint needs to stopped! door to door crooks

I contracted with vivint for a home security system. During the instillation I immediately knew I was in trouble.

They began hacking wires in my existing security system. They spliced and mismatched componets of my system with their products and within hours it was malfunctioning. The first thunderstorm set in to motion a series of nightmarish problems. The thermostat began turning on the emergency heat raising the temp to 85-95 degrees.

The fire alarm going off in the middle of the night. They have refused to cancel the contract and I have enlisted legal assistance.

They are billing me in full.

Vivint Reply:
We thank this customer for their feedback, and for bringing this situation to our attention. Vivint aims to save customers money by using existing alarm equipment with their consent. Should issues arise, repair, rather than cancellation is the appropriate course of action. We understand the frustration that comes with a false alarm and we are committed to reaching a resolution. This subscriber is urged to contact our 24/7 Customer Care team.

I have had the exact same problems with my thermostate. It also did it in the airconditioning setting.

It got down to 55 degrees and would shut off and up to 88 and wouldn't shut off. They have replaced it with two different thermostates. My electric bill has been extremely high! I now have the CT80 that recently kept short cycling with my dual heat system that uses a gas heat pump for emergency heat and electric heat.

It caused my heat blower to burn up. Had to call someone to fix that and vivnt didn't even bat an eye over this issue. I have removed their thermostate and replaced my original and am having no problems like I have had with their thermostates over the last 1 1/2!

I have had NUMEROUS other problems with there equipment starting not long after they installed it. Considering legal assistance as well, any suggestions?

Vivint Home Security unable to cancel contract

We purchased ADT home security in 2007. In the meantime ADT security was changed to Vivint without our knowledge until we started receiving their bills. In May of this year I sent a written notice to discontinue my contract in June which was in accordance of my contract.

Since then, they continued to continue with the contract. I went ahead and paid up until September and decided enough was enough. I sent another written notice in Sept to tell them I no longer wanted the service. When I received another bill in October for the service for September and October I called to be told they would discontinue the service and waive the fees.

A few days later I received a reminder of the money due. I wrote a full page letter to the person signing the notice explaining to him that a notice was sent in May to discontinue the service and that I was not going to pay any further fees.

Another month later and the phone calls, harassment and bills just keep coming. No matter how many notices I write, no matter how many times I tell them I no longer want the service it continues. I want the harassment and the service to end.

We never get to speak with the same person every time and we get the same run around every time. After explaining to the first person, then we are transferred to accounting to where they are to follow up and take care of the problem just to be harassed some more and with no resolution.

Please help before I go ballistic!

Vivint Reply:

Sorry for your inconvenience but just to let you know ADT never became vivnt that's just what they are telling customers to take ADT business. I work with adt so this is why I'm telling you this.

I work for this company and let me tell you that we are absolutely not affiliated with any other alarm company and never have been! we rebranded from apex to VIVINT because of our new technology, there are fraudulent companies out there claiming to be a part or us and we end up having to save that customer from being slammed and install an actual VIVINT system, we do surveys for pre and post install to make sure the customer is fully aware of the agreement and that they are satisfied with the installation, make sure you are doing research before you bash a company of which you know nothing of.

I'm thankful to be apart of a company that does do much for it's community and employees...we get free meals that are above par, a clinic on site, benefits, the whole nine and we have our own charity that actually gives back not keeps a percentage, if you can read and speak then you know the agreements you sign and we make sure that honesty and integrity are pat of our image i have directly myself emailed the ceo on urgent matters and he responded quickly and handled it, make sure you are talking about the right company and not an imitator!! because you may be one of those customers that got slammed by an imposter.

@PissedConsumer586655

Let me give you my story. 0NE young men(college students) from Utah showed up at my door selling security systems in our neighborhood.

He explained how it would work and the mthly cost for the service and the $1,000.00 system would be free w/installation w/a 5 yr contract. I said no to 5 yrs. Then he said that he could do it for a 3 yr contract. My wife said lets do it because it sounds like a good deal.

I okeyed it and then he called his install team that was just finishing up another install. After they installed the system he handed me a contract to sign for all the different equiptment that was installed. I signed it and he gave me a copy. They finished up their work making calls and checking things out.

They put the ADT sign in the yard and left. After about 3 yrs I asked my wife that we should decide what we need to do about the security system because the contract would be up soon. She got the contract out of our file system and started to read it. It said 5 yrs on the 2nd page which was not presented to me and never signed by me; but it was signed by my wife.

I ask her why she signed it and her reply was that he shoved it in front of her and told her to and that her husband had already signed off and they needed to go because they had another install waiting. Well our story didnot work when I called and tried to cancel our contract...The young man clearly lied to me and my wife and the company would do nothing about it and said we would have to fill the obligation of 5 yrs. Well it will be 5 yrs this May...So the lesson I have learned is never trust these security companies and there young college recruits working on commission. It will be 5 yrs this May, so when the time comes they will not get one red cent more.

So you talk about honesty and the agreements that you sign and how great they are. I have the paperwork to prove it.

Its in my name but my signature isn't on the 2nd part of the contract where I was supose to sign. He lied to me there fore he tricked my wife into signing it and I never saw it.

:( vivint sucks system doesn't work right, paid for two years with no service till contract was up. now getting bills from vivint demanding money. Are these people associated with the Mafia?

yes they scammed my 84 year old mother with this same thing we tried to cancel the contract and to no avail, we refuse to pay also and has gotten an attorney on this matter.

Same thing never aigned with them but a pet never had a contract and they are saying we are in contract for four years which we never signed do we have rights

View more comments (6)
ID

VIVINT is dishonest, misleading and unreliable

Vivint sold me a system that they never installed; and the equipment they did install does not do what they said it would. They have promised for OVER TWO years to correct the problem and install adequate technology and and yet, hey have failed to followup, over and over and over.

It is amazing. Even a registered letter to the CEO does not produce any reaction. It is ignored! They have broken the contract, and made dozens of false and misleading promises.

I have withdrawn authorization to bill my credit card, registered mail and still, they continue to bill my credit card and keep my personal information.

A thoroughly unprofessional company, they are vultures. Beware.

Vivint Reply:

Please think twice about giving your credit card information to Vivint Home Security. They created a second account in my name without a contract and double billed my credit card when I called to change my billing address.

I have been dealing with them for over one year to get this stopped to no avail. On 2/22/13 they billed my credit card $626.88 and again on 3/8/13 for the monthly service fee, of $52.99.

I have spent hours on the phone with them and still haven't been repaid. Two credit card companies are working with me to in their fraud departments for unautherized billing.

VIVINT SUCKS!

I gave Vivint my banking information to take the monthly payments from my bank account, and for the 3rd time, they screwed me over! they take more money than what they say they would.

I had to cancel my pre-authorized payments with them because i don't trust them! Its so *** cus you can't cancel because you signed a contract, but they could *** over by taking whatever amount of money from you bank account without letting you know. BEWARE! Never give Vivint your banking information!

I am very angry at this company. they are like thieves!

Vivint fraud in texas

It's great to know I'm not the only one ripped off but can anyone tell me how I can F@&ing do somthing about it I want to report them to athorities. A door to door salesman wouldn't leave till I got the *** system from vivint.

Then the keyless door *** became loose and my front door wouldn't close. They want $199 to replace it. No less than a month into it the security panel stopped working and I called for help n they said a service guy would go fix it. It's been 6 months n they bill me every month for a disconnected panel.

P.S the charger to the panel shorted and melted my wall outlet almost set my home on fire.

But they still want there money. I just canceled my bank account so they would stop STEALING my money.

Vivint Reply:
We thank this customer for their feedback. Vivint requests customers bring any issues to our attention so we are able to move towards a resolution immediately. All equipment installed (with the exception of batteries and screens) by Vivint is warranted for the life of the agreement. We do not charge for repair or replacement of warranted equipment. We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration caused on our behalf and advise this customer to call into our Customer Care team. They are trained to address situations like the one outlined here and are available 24/7 at 800-216-5232.

These people should be jailed for fraud. imagine how many people r just letting this happen to them unable to complain to any government regulators of this industry. I guess that's the republican dominated Texas gov.

Vivnt Alarm Co.

A saleman came to the door asking me if I would like a "Free" upgrade to my ADT alarm system.

It was a wireless key pad and he said that it would cost me nothing to upgrade and that it was the same system. I made it quite clear that I didn't want to change my alarm co.

MY MISTAKE _ NEVER The Key pad was installed and my old system disarmed and then I was told the the Company was VIVNT, a company held by ADT.

I told them I didn't want the billing on a credit card, debit card or automatically withdrawn. I wanted a paper trail (call me old fashioned I don;t want some company messing with my money). I have been attempting for several months to set up payment through my bank and have been harassed beyond belief by this fly by night out fit called VIVNT. My bank is sending a check to cover the next two months and according to the bank the address they have is the one that is generated from the Company.

As soon as the CONTRACT has expired I want the key pad out of my house.

I have had nothing but problems with thin company. NO ONE WHO ATTEMPTS TO PAY THEIR BILLS SHOULD BE HARASSED THIS WAY>

Vivint Reply:
Vivint thanks this customer for sharing their experience. We value all feedback and apologize for any issues this customer has experienced with their billing. Vivint requests all customers set up a method of automatic billing; we are able to process payments through major credit or debit cards and via electronic transfers from checking or savings accounts. Through automatic payments, Vivint is able to ensure customers uninterrupted monitoring and saves paper typically used for printing statements. Customers are also welcome to make payments in advance over-the-phone or through their online account center at any time. Alternatively, customers are able to mail in money orders or personal checks. Provided a payment is made and has cleared through other means prior to the customer's billing cycle, the account on file for automatic withdrawals will not be debited. All Customer Care professionals are trained on billing and they are available 24/7 at 800-216-5232.

Be warned they automatically renew your contract without your consent and they use the excuse that they don't want to "interrupt" your service. You need to sent a written notice stating you don't want to renew the contract 30 days before contract expires. Good luck.

Vivint

Please run from Vivint! There billing is horrendous! They have made multiple errors this year and refuse to take any of the responsibility for their errors.

The most recent -- we had another tech out to look at the system (note word: ANOTHER - very faulty system). I paid in FULL with a GOOD check. I get notice from my credit card that something unusual is going on. Well, it seems the billing department felt the tech was taking too long sending in the check so they treated our account as a delinquent account (yes, we were tagged as delinquent even though I paid in full at the time of service) and charged from the credit card.

I have 3 words for you - run, Run, RUN!!!

Vivint Reply:
Vivint appreciates this individual’s feedback. All billing issues and potential discrepancies are taken seriously. We apologize for any inconvenience caused on our behalf. This customer is encouraged to contact our Customer Care team to resolve the concerns outlined in their post.
Reason of review
Problems with payment

Vivant ripped me off

These people ripped me off!!!! They said I needed to cancel in writing.

I faxed it to them and then they told me I was responsible for all payments 30 days after getting my letter. I was charged for 2 months of service I never even received!! Then while trying to get my money back which I never did, the guy on the phone tried to sell me another contract and said he could give me a good deal on new equipment and would like to keep my business.

After they just stole $120 from me. They protected my home and stole money from my bank!!

Loss

New Vivent home alarm system customer very unsatisfied!!!

Company services are NO GOOD!!! Had Vivent new alarm system partially installed 10/5/12 (tech installed the door sensors then, but didn't install the door locks, as he had only black color ones in his truck and offered to order another color).

On 10/12 still no call from Vivent about the pending locks so I called and was told someone would install them on 10/17. That night the new alarm system went off alerting that the back door sensor was triggered, so made emergency call to Vivent and they said again no one could not come out before 10/17! Alarm just went off again tonight, one day later, and Vivent customer service again says they can't commit to sending someone out earlier than four days from now. They were quick to say however that I am locked into the contract even though the new alarm system is still not fully installed, and the portion that is installed has been malfunctioning for two days which is really unnerving.

Next step is to file complaint with BBB. Bad, bad, bad!!!

Vivint Reply:
Vivint appreciates this customer’s concern for the safety of their family. We share that concern which is why our technicians are available weekends and holidays to ensure that our customers are taken care within a reasonable timeframe. We apologize for any inconvenience or delay during installation. In this case, the alarm system was fully functional and would have alerted the police without the home automation equipment in place.

Vivant - Poor Customer Service- System not working

I am beyond frustrated with Vivint! I ordered a security and home automation package (plus tons of add ons) from Vivint via phone and a technician was scheduled to come out and do an install on Friday 10/5.

The tech gets here and says, "Oh no, this house is too big and this is way too much work; I don't have time today. You are going to have to reschedule." So the tech walks through the house and makes a bunch of notes and assures me that the notes will be passed off to the next tech who will be coming so that I don't have to do the walk through again. So I speak with Vivant to set up another appointment. The appointment was set for 10/10.

During that conversation, and the two others I had while confirming my appointment, each service representative assured me that the notes from the previous tech were in the file and that plenty of time was scheduled for the tech to complete the job. Again, 3 people assured me of this. Wednesday morning a tech shows up at 9am and says, "This is too much work, I have another appointment at 2 and can't get this all done." REALLY?!? I am sure you can imagine my frustration at this point.

AND he doesn't have any notes and I have to do the walk through again. So he gets on the phone with his boss trying to get another tech out to my house. That didn't work, so I called Vivint myself. After 2 phone calls with Vivint (each lasting 45 minutes) another tech was sent to my house.

These guys worked until 8:30 at night; so they were here for about 11 hours. At this point they were so ready to go home and things were forgotten. Mind you, these guys were very nice and did their best, but they hadn't taken a break or eaten in 11 hours. I did offer them snacks, but they were so polite.

The tech lost the keys to my doors, so I have no keys, which wouldn't be a problem if the automatic door locks worked, but they don't. The door locks don't show up on my iphone app or on the computer. So I had to call into Vivint agin to try and get the door locks working and get a key to my door. I spent an hour on the phone with Vivant and they couldn't figure out the problem, so they emailed someone and said it would be taken care of by the morning.

They also said they were going to get me an appointment so that someone could come out and make a key for my door. Well, who has the key? Is there someone out there walking around with keys to my house? This is unsettling!

Now I have an uneasy feeling, which is the exact opposite feeling I wanted when putting in a security system. Needless to say, my door locks still didn't work in the morning, so I called back in and spent another hour on the phone. I am now waiting for a phone call back to see if they can get anyone out here or fix my locks. At this point here are my outstanding issues: My door locks do not work from my phone or commuter, I have no keys to my doors, I am getting a low battery warning on all of my window sensors (about 20) which is causing my key pad to beep, the pan and tilt camera in my daughters room that worked last night does not work anymore, and the lighting in my house is all labeled incorrectly (ie.

it is labeled mater bedroom and it turns on the porch). Nothing is being done to help me! I have spent thousands of dollars and I am having so many issues!

A tech should be at my home right now fixing this. I am beyond frustrated and this is such an inconvenience to me!

Vivint Reply:
Vivint recognizes the concerns of this customer. We apologize about the issues they encountered during the installation of their system. Incomplete installations are afforded priority and we are committed to reaching a resolution. We encourage this customer to contact our award winning Customer Care team at their earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 at 800-216-5232.

Debbie,

I completely understand your frustration with this situation. I've had the exact thing happen before with other companies, almost. Mine wasn't security related, but I scheduled appointments, and had walk through's performed, then got set aside over, and over; so I get your pain completely.

1. Technicians are dispatched automatically based off geographical location, and estimated time of the case. In other words, if tech A is 25 miles from your house, and an estimated 30 minutes from being done with his current case, and your case is scheduled at an estimated 3 hours work total then he'll get it over Tech B who is 10 miles away, and scheduled to remain at his current case for another hour.

This is a fairly new system, and it does have it's hiccups, but they're constantly editing services in the program to make it much more fluid. The older system that we were on caused too much problems, and customers, so we abandoned it; and began having our own developed to streamline everything.

I'm not making excuses for the company, I'm just hoping to assist you with a better understanding of why this situation came to be. As for the technician stating "This case is too big, I don't have time; well, I for one apologize. That is utterly wrong on their behalf. The technician could have just as easily went into the tech management suite and had his later cases rescheduled to someone else, but was probably being a greedy butt, and wanted the chance of upgrades at the next spot that he didn't think he was going to get with you due to your large pre-purchase.

This is completely unethical, and quite frankly, if you have their names, and or badge ID's, OR your service numbers for your case I will GLADLY report them to my supervisor, and have them be passed along to customer resolution so that we can get this issue nipped in the bud.

I"m not sure about other districts, but in MINE, we don't tolerate laziness, or incompetence. You go in, treat the customer with respect, and remain professional at all times, and it sounds like (unfortunately) you didn't receive any of that, and you have my entire regions apologies for that.

If you would like, I will forward whatever information you can provide to the right people, and do what I can to either eliminate those persons from their positions (we can see who serviced what, so if you get details on equipment installed, or what order they showed up in - eg. Tech 2 said rude comment about rescheduling) then they will know who to confront regarding this issue.

Please reply promptly, and give me a way to contact you and I'll do so from my company email so that you know I'm not B.S'ing you. Then we can go from there.

Again, You have my entire regions sincerest apologies, and for the most part that of the entire company. Weeding out the bad seeds is a process, but one we intend to follow through with. We hope that we can remedy this, and maintain you as a customer.

Regards,

Greg Johnson

P.S. I didn't include my company email because quite frankly I get roughly 50 emails a day from different people within the company, and sorting through 1000 hatemail messages a day titled "OMG THX U SO MUCH" then containing the complete opposite just to make me read it (had it happen before) isn't something I feel like doing.

As stated, if you leave your contact information I WILL contact you A.S.A.P regarding this, and attempt to begin resolving this for you.

I know it's a little late, but I just started with the company this week, so I apologize for the delay.

@Eliseo Exa

Furthermore, the techs should NEVER be in your home without you being there...EVER. The companies policy requires someone of 18 years of age to be in the home during ANY system maintenance, or install.

I can't wait to get more information from you regarding this, and get the worthless people that did this to you removed from our company. It's them that give us a bad name.

I am so sorry to hear about this. Nothing is more frustrating than getting less than what you expected and deserve.

I a, an employee for Vivint and would love to help get this situation taken care of and to have you accommodated. Please email me @ anniekitchen333@gmail.com

@PissedConsumer555184

why do you have a gmail account instead of something with Vivant? sounds fishy to me

View more comments (3)