Show reviews that mention
service system contract customer service customer home security equipment phone house
Filter review
Vivint thanks this customer for sharing their experience. We require written notice of cancellation to discontinue monitoring service. This requirement is outlined on the face of the agreement and is reinforced during a required pre-installation survey. We encourage...

Vivint is horrible, my house burned down in October. probably a year after I installed my system.

They have been a total nightmare to work with!!!! Beware of this company!!!

View more comments
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Vivint Sales Rep Lies to Senior Citizens

Vivint appreciates this customer taking the time to submit a review. Vivint does not install any equipment without written consent of the customer. The agreement signed prior to installation outlines the price and terms of the security system. The aforementioned terms are reinforced through a required pre-installation survey conducted with a corporate representative. We apologize for any misunderstanding or misinformation provided by a Vivint sales representative. Vivint takes claims of fraudulent sales tactics very seriously and this situation will be passed to the appropriate parties. We encourage potential and existing customers to verify the credentials of representatives from any company, Vivint
representatives can be verified by calling 800-216-5232 or by visiting http://vivint.com/verify.
ID

Deceptive practices. 2 Vivint Reps who were not identified in any way as Vivint reps, saw the ADP sign in the yard, knocked on my parents' door and said they were from the alarm company and needed to talk about my parents' renewal.

Told them they would upgrade the system for free - my parents (79 & 83) thought this was ADT who did a good job and never cheated them.

Vivint added some new contacts and charged them. Talked them into a new thermostat and charged them and they ended up with a monthly bill that was $20 more than they were paying ADT with a 3 year contract. The thermostat didn't work well - house would get to 60 and the heat wouldn't turn on even though it was set to 70.

Took many phone calls and talking to a supervisor twice before they finally took the thermostat off the monthly but my parents are stuck with the higher payment.

Nice sales strategy - go through an old neighborhood, find senior citizens with an alarm system, and trick them into wasting part of their small fixed income. I guess if you fail at selling *** used cars you can go to work for Vivint.

To comment number 2.... You and I both know that Vivint reps would not be fired on the spot.

That is a bunch of bull... If you work for Vivint you know I am right!

@PissedConsumer575335

False Fred. It's not allowed, it is dismissible. If you've actually worked at a multi billion dollar company with the pride and integrity that Vivint has you'd know this.

Sorry, Just one more thing. Those reps all wear a shirt that says VIVINT in orange on it.

Same with the Technicians. If a man you do not know walks up to your door in plain clothes and says he is a police officer to let him in, would you? .. Of course not, you check his identification.

Look at the shirt, look at the badge they have to wear to show they are a Vivint Sales Rep.

Just some tips to those of you who feel you were duped by someone saying they were someone that they were not. Look for ID, Ask for ID.

If that were the case, than please call them to report it. Make sure you know the reps name so that they can fire him.

Doing that is what is called SLAMMING, and it is prohibited in any sales industry. Vivint specifically trains their sales people to NOT do that, and they all know they will be fired on the spot for Misrepresentation. It is NOT Vivint who Slammed your parents / grandparents, it was a sales rep with poor moral standards.

If your parents didnt know how to operate the thermostat, or it would not work, all that had to be done was to call and schedule a technician to come out and fix it.

If it was within the 1st 120 days of the contract it would be a free trip, otherwise it is like a $49 trip fee to send him out.. As for your "Nice Sales Strategy" comment, they go thru ALL NEIGHBORHOODS where there are home owners. The pricing is clearly stated on the agreement, and the name of the company is clearly stated on the agreement. I understand that some people sign contracts without reading them, or at least the LARGE print right there on the front of their contract, but dont blame someone's oversight on the person that had them sign it.

But DO PLEASE call Vivint at 800-216-5232 and ask for the retention department. Tell them your parents were slammed by Vivint Reps, and give them the reps name, and the tech that was with him/her. I guarantee that person will be fired immediately, it is their policy to NOT SLAM anyone, as it is immoral, and not honest. I have gone thru their training, in both Sales and Customer Support, and know this to be true.

Please note that these are MY opinions and not the opinions of Vivint.

I am not an employee, just a person speaking his opinions and knowledge on their sales practices and contracts. Have a great day!

View more comments (3)

Bonnie M. of Jackson, Mississippi

"I had an experience with a Vivint sales associate over the phone on August 18,012. She was very knowledgeable about what I needed to do in order to fix the problem I was having. She walked me through the trouble shooting. I further wanted to say that I am enjoying the system so far. The remote key chain is the best. I want to say thanks to the sales rep that introduced my family to Vivint."
Testimonial
Vivint's reply to:

Beware of vivint its garbage!!!

Vivint thanks this customer for submitting a review with Pissed Consumer and for bringing their concerns to our attention. Should a customer experience difficulty hearing the panel’s 120+ dB siren, external sirens can be installed. We encourage this customer to contact our central station for clarification on our alarm procedure. Vivint ensures all customers are educated on the length of their agreement, both in writing on the face of the agreement and during a required pre-installation survey.
ID

Compared to ADT, vivint alarm system can barely be heard if it goes off. I am so ashame of their alarm system that I had to put a ADT yard alarm sign back on my front lawn as using and puttig my old ADT window stickers back on all my windows.

When vivint 1st signed me up for their system I was told that my contact will be only for 2 years but after looking at my contract!

I found out that it is for 42 months & when I wanted to get out my contract they told me that I will receive a bill for all my remaining unused months at $50 per month. The worst part being is when my alarm system went off, vivint called only the 1st person listed of the three contact people I had listed on my contact list I submitted to them!

Vivint's reply to:

Vivint sales person kept saying there was no cost to us, but then we found out different!

Vivint thanks this individual for their feedback and time. We apologize for any misunderstanding or misinformation provided to them. We ensure all customers are aware of the length of their agreement, both in writing and during a required pre-installation survey.
Vivint Security System

Vivint salesperson told us they would give us the system for free. We would never have to pay for anything because we would be advertising their product for them. After we grilled him for an hour, we finally found out that there is a monthly charge for the cellphone connection! What a waste of time.

He kept stating - you will never pay a penny for this. Being skeptical, we kept asking questions trying to find the catch. After wasting an hour of our time, he slipped in there a statement that we would pay for the connection. Said it was only a $1.50 a day. HOLD ON NOW! I finally found what I was looking for. That was the catch. Within a minute of us discovering that, the salesperson left - without a deal (of course).

There's no such thing as a free deal!

I believe what the smarter post is that the salesperson made it seem that their alarm would be for- no strings attach- as long as he/she would allow to promote their product by placing a sign on the front lawn. I had the same explain to me by a salesperson.

He said everything is FREE- alarm system and installation. All I had to do is allow their company place stickers and yard signs promoting their alarm system. He claimed that he is only allowed to do a "free" alarm per section and I was the lucky homeowner. I kept on asking all questions.

He said monitoring was optional- but I can cancel after 13 months- just call and say I was moving out. I later found out that, it can take up to 13 months for them to clear their commission.

I cancelled on the spot when I confirmed with the alarm company he "represented" I am agreeing to a 3 years regardless if I move, lose my job...so don't believe what the salesperson tells you. But I can understand how Smarter thought he/she was actually receiving a free system with no strings attached.

Seriously? The FREE is the 1200-2000 worth of equipment they were going to put in your home.

The monthly charge is IF you want to keep it connected to the monitoring station. How about a FREE car? Oh wait, you will still have to pay to register it and pay property taxes on it every year...

what a scam. I guess I should have disclosed that to you !

So what is the point of this post? Did you think it was going to be free?

Did you get the alarm system? Did you try it?

If someone tells you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?

Common sense...

View more comments (2)

Vivint is a scam!!!!

We're sorry that you had a bad experience with out company! We pride ourselves on having the best customer service in the industry. Our customers should be able to rely on us any time, day or night, which is why our reps are available 24x7x365 to resolve any issue that comes our way. If you're experiencing difficulties with your system or your service please give us a call at 800.216.5232, or email us at support@vivint.com for assistance. We also welcome any feedback on our products and services. Thank you!
Vivint Security System

My husband and I purchased this security system due to the vivint rep stating that there had been break-ins in our neighborhood recently. We are a year and a half into it with a payment of $54.00 per month.

My issue is this, I have been downsized from my job only getting 36 hours per week versus 40 and the payments are coming directly out of our bank account. I get paid every two weeks. They take out the payment whether my paycheck has cleared or not, resulting in overdraft fees of $36.00. I contacted vivint and complained.

I told them that I want out of this contract. They refused and told me that the only way to get out of this contract is to sell it to some other poor unsuspecting sap on ebay or our neighborhood. I would n't do that to my worse enemy. This company preys on the fears of individual home owners and are totally unreasonable and stringent with their policies.

Any other company would consider breaking the contract over financial hardship but not this company. Stay clear and keep your money in your pocket where it belongs. You are better to have a good watchdog and a firearm than to have this company.

We've had two false alarms with calls to 911 and no law inforcement responded. Once they get you to sign the contract, your screwed and on your own.

If you dont have money to pay vivint its your problem not vivint .

Got rid of Vivint, didn't like the complimentary thermostat, "radio controlled" if I can change the settings from my cell phone, so can energy Nazi's,

I did sign a two year contract and pay every month faithfully. I have called them a few times to get a service tech out here and fix the door lock problem that we had.

When I called vivant the first time, they said that they would have the tech call me and set up a time to get it fixed. I waited several weeks and no one called. I got a letter from vivant saying that they have tried to reach me several times to set up a time to get a service tech out here. That is a mistake on there part because no one has called me.

I have my home phone hooked up to my cell phone so I do not miss any calls. I called them to let them no this and they apoligized, check to see if they had the right numbers for me, (they did) and told me that a service tech would be getting in touch with me to get it fixed. It has been six weeks and no one has contacted me! We have been trying to get heat turned on for a few days now, but no luck.

It got really cold in here yesterday and I called vivant to ask for help. I talked to the first agent who said everything was fine on her end, and it should be working. Well I told her that it was not and to get some help. I was put on hold, and was hung up on.

I called back and talked to another agent. He asked me where the wires went in at. After finding out that the installer put the thermostat in wrong, my husband and I were pissed. They said that an inspector could be out here in November.

We live in North Dakota and last night in got down to 20 degrees. We are frozen. We told them to get a tech out here now and take all there equipment with them. They said we signed a contract to keep it for 2 years.

So my question is this, do they have some kind of agreement with me to get people out here when we need them? We want to get an alarm system locally, so we can get help when we need it.

They are just worried about getting paid. Shame on them!

OH , sorry,.. you CAN GET OUT OF THE CONTRACT.

There are a couple ways to do this. 1.) send a letter of cancellation and pay off the remaining amount owed on the contract. It will be cancelled. 2.) Send in the death certificate for the indiviual(s) on the account, and it will be cancelled.

(note, they do NOT go after your family for the bill like most companies do) 3.) Be deployed by the military out of their service area, and just send them a copy of your orders. 4.) Be admitted to a Care Facility where you are totally cared for, and cannot care for yourself. 5.) Have someone else take over your contract. Just have Vivint send you an addendum with the new person's name on it, and they then replace you as the contract holder.

These are the ways that you get out of the contract.

So please do not say that you have to dupe someone on ebay , and that is the ONLY WAY.

That was an uneducated remark, most likely brought on by frustration. Again, these are the ways to get out of your contract.

Look, I actually posted my name. WHy? Because I do not care what you think, and if you know my name. Look people, if you sign any contract you will stuck in that contract. If yo happen upon financial hardship, talk to the Retention Department. Call 800-216-5232 and ask for retention. Inform them about how hardship, and alot of times they can help. As a former employee of this company they can usually cut your bill for a limited amount of time to help, and WILL. The amount of discount they can give is equal to 2 months of service, and they can either do 2 months consecutively or spread it out over several months. They dont want angry customers, but sometimes people WANT to be mad no matter what. When you talk to them, understand that all the terms of agreement you signed, YOU are bound and so are THEY to those terms. ALWAYS READ THEM before signing ANY CONTRACT> .... I suppose it is easy to be in a contract then call it a scam. If that were the case, then All cellphone carriers are a scam cuz they put you in a contract, same with DIRECTV, Dish network, etc. With VIVINT, if you do not want a contract, and want to be month to month you have 2 choices, 1) pay for the equipment up front. You are in a contract because they have to recover the costs of the $1200 - $2000 worth of equipment you got put into your home wothout having to pay for it. You pay for it slowly over the course of that 42 month contract. Same with your cellphone carrier that allowed you to have that IPhone for only $199, you are paying for that equipment during the term of that contract....

2.) Wait till your 36-42 month contract expires, and you will then be month to month.

As always, READ the agreement before you sign it. Whether it is cell phone, tv, security, or even your mortgage. REAd the CONTRACT. You and THEY are both bound by those rules.

I would like to say these are my opinions based on my knowledge of Vivint as a former employee. I DO know that they specifically emphasize in all of their training to never mislead, and never lie to customers. As ANY Vivint customer can attest, you have to be put on a phone survey with Vivint Corporate so they can have it recorded that you understand the terms of your agreement, that you are the homeowner,that you know your monthly amount is $XX.XX amount per month, and that you were not promised anything. This is yet another way that they try to prevent fraud from reps. Did your ADT REP do that? Now, because they are 3rd party vendor just trying to get the sale. Vivint Reps, Techs, Customer service, EVERYONE, is an actual Vivint Employee, and Vivint holds their integrity in high esteem. The owner (and I know him) is a good man who tries hard to make sure his company sets the standard in the industry for service, technology, and sales practices. If there was a bad rep who lied, he would be fired instantly. Ive seen it first hand when an rep lied to someone on the phone, and was pulled aside and dismissed. So please, call them, and let them know about your financial hardship, and what is going on. Also, try to figure out what is fair on both ends when dealing with them. You ARE in contract, and by law they cannot just break that contract any more than you can. They can be in legal trouble for just breaking the terms of a legal contract with you, same as when you break the contract by not following the terms. So call them, and remember, the nicer you are on the phone, the more favors / flexibility you will most likely get from your rep. Retention reps are your advocate, and they are there to help RETAIN you as a customer. If they have to be flexible they will, but they cannot break the rules... ONce again, these are my own opinions based on my own knowledge of Vivint. Please not that they are not the opinions of Vivint as a company as I do not represent them in any which way shape for form. Have a nice day!

You said Vivint DID call the police, but they didn't show up?

Sounds like a police issue, not a Vivint issue.

Dear responsible adult.... I beg to differ with you!

I'm a very responsible adultwho read and signed a contract. When something went wrong with the product where it no longer functioned properly I made numerous requests for service was told my 1 year old system was outdated they could not fix it yet my contract called for another years payments! According to their contract they had to either fix it or replace it! They wanted me to pay for another system which was not written in the contract!

It took me 6 monthe and an attorney to recover lost payments and outta the contract!

So get ur nose outta ur butt! Good responsible people do have bad things happen to them by bad company policies and badly written contracts and pushy sales people!!

Dear uneducated buyer,

When purchasing anything at all in your lifetime it is your responsibility to read anything contract related. When making a mortgage payment, cell phone payment, car payment or anything else that involves a contract, do they not require you to pay them on time no matter what type of financial hard ship you may be experiencing? Is it not your responsibility as an adult to pay your bills? Sounds to me that vivint is simply in the same categories as the rest of the company's that want to be paid for the services they provide, also stated in the contract you signed. I would understand your title to this post "vivint is a scam" if they told you 1 thing but then said another. But it seems to me that the only scam here is you saying that you would pay them for these services, then not wanting to do so in the contract term YOU agreed to.

Sincerely,

Responsible Adult

View more comments (7)

Vivint targets victims

Vivint values the feedback from this individual and thanks them for taking the time to submit a review with Pissed Consumer. Vivint believes home automation and security are valuable for all families. Situations such as the one outlined here are taken seriously and this will be passed to the appropriate parties.
ID

My sister-in-law is 82 and is very frail. A salesman opened her door and came into her house while the caregiver was out for the afternoon.

She is unable to get up on her own, and does not handle her own money. They sold her a complete system because she was frightened and wanted them gone. I discovered this system the next day when I came over, and called the salesman and threw a fit. He said I had to call corporate.

I did right away, faxed in the cancellation with her signature, and am now getting the run around from the company. They keep asking what system I am using now and how much does it cost?

I tell them it's none of their business. These people are *** to prey on the elderly.

and Harry says....?

VIVENT 'POLICY

Vivint thanks this customer for their feedback. While the alarm system has a backup battery to ensure uninterrupted protection, a connection to 120V power is required. We apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience this may have caused. Vivint provides customers deferment in times of hardship or when circumstances deem it necessary. We are committed to protecting this customer’s home and encourage them to contact our Customer Loyalty team to investigate the possibilities for their account.
Service
Vivint Internet Service

We winter in a southwest city. Our house is in an RV/house development and in the summer the whole development is essentially a ghost town. People shut off the house electricity; the yard watering systems run on battery timers.

When the nice young Vivent men canvassed our neighborhood, we agreed to buy the system. It was the first day on the job for one of the two men who installed the system. They told us the battery was good for 7 years which sounded OK because my husband's pacemaker, which paces 100% of the time, lasts 7 years.

A day after we left for 5 months, we got a robo call that the battery needed charging. We called Vivent and they said the system had to have house electricity. We said, "OK, there is no way and no one who can turn on the house electricity. Put it on suspension and we will pick up when we get back in October." Not their policy. I asked what was the problem because the satellite TV, Internet, telephone, insurance on stored car, even Netflix happily put services on hold. No dice, it's not their policy.

I told them it isn't my policy to pay for service I don't get.

They proceeded to charge my credit card for the monthly fee. I phoned the bank that has the card and they were great. They agreed, no service, no pay. They have taken off the charges and continue to deny Vivent's access to my card.

Vivent phones us several times a week and we have the same conversation over and over.We have told them repeatedly that we will pick up in October, but now I'm ready to go to some sort of consumer fraud agency. I''ll settle for them to just come to the house and remove their equipment, and NOT pay any sort of cancellation fee.

VIVINT-Buyer Beware

Vivint appreciates the feedback from this individual. Employees are not required to provide their last name but are able to give their unique employee identification number. Customers are responsible for their monthly monitoring fee until the end of their agreement, regardless of when the cancellation notice was received.
Service
Vivint Service Transfer

As long as you are sending them their payment every month, you will not have a problem. After 5 years, we moved and tried to cancel our service with Vivint.

Their 'world class' customer service blew up. The rep would not give me her last name and she would not give me the name of her manager or transfer me to him. I persisted and she finally transferred me.

She left me on hold for several minutes, but I reached a supervisor.

Supervisor Robert Grimm refused to refund the $39.99 that they deducted after the cancellation notice. The supervisor agreed that they would rather keep them money and lose the customer.

Vivint's reply to:

System does not work properly

Vivint understands the concerns of this customer and appreciates their feedback. Despite tremendous advances in technology, neither the security industry nor Vivint has been able to eradicate false alarms entirely. We apologize for any inconvenience this customer experienced during scheduling. This subscriber is encouraged to contact our award winning. Customer Care team to resolve the issues outlined in their review.
Loss

We started with vivnt on may 16, 2012 when two young sales men cme to the door and gave there sales pitch so mu husband agreeded to the service they installed everything that night. But as they were getting ready to instull the equiptment the slaes people tod us we needed to give them a check for 249.00 dollars which is not what they told us at the beginning it would only be 148.99, 100.00 for equiptment and 49.00 for the first months service.

So I told thm no we did not want the service because that is not what they told us. So they told me if I worte the check for that amount they would give me 100.00 cash back so we agreeded. Since then we have had to have a tech out three time once for a low battery that happened with in weeks of getting there service after they changed the battery our hall sensor went off evertime I set the alarm when I left the house so I called them they cancelled and had to come on another date after I gave up my saturday plans to wait for them they did show up days later but tried to tell me they could only do Saturday appointments I told them no way they could come during the week. So right after they were out and tested the senor and moved it it started doing the same thing so we made anothre appointment for them to come out again so the they could cancel again.

I feel we are paying 50.00 a month for this service they should have tech avaible to show up and fix the problems with there equiptment and they don't I threatened to cancel the service and he told me I have a three year contract and they would get someone out as soon as possible.

I would not recomend any one to this company there service is *** and they just want your money every month and not have to provide service to fix there equiptment. And out police department is going to start charging for faluse call outs and I think the alarm company should have to pay for it for there faultie equiptment.

had vivint installed alarm system in my house had several alarm activation which was all false called vivint several times to report system nothing was ever done to resolve the situation have since stop paying for the service since i was never pleased try to rebooth the system only to find iout the disable all the remotes and refuse to remove their equipment would not recomend vivint to anyone beware of vivint.

This type of situation does not happen often. If you call their customer service at 800-216-5232, and ask for retention, they will transfer you.

They are the supervisors that can handle what you need. Make sure they understand that the system has been malfunctioning since day 1, they will be able to see the calls, how many times a tech has come out, what the tech did, and that you had them scheduled to come out again for the same problem. THey will either GLADLY credit your account, schedule a tech to come out and replace your system, or find some other way to work with you. They are not in the habit of making victims, as they are a growing company with cutting edge technology.

However, there does tend to be parts here and there, or technicians that do not perform up to par. For that I am sure they will apologize. I know that these issues, if they happened as you say, will be documented on yoru account and time stamped. When they see this, they will find a way to fix it as they are in retention and their job is to RETAIN you as a customer.

If you call and the rep doesnt get it done, call back and talk to someone else.

But , and please remember this, that department is not very big, so they few reps inthere that they do have, are the supervisors that handle upset people. Try to be cordial or at least friendly with them, and they will most likely go out of their way to help you.

View more comments (1)
Vivint appreciates this customers feedback. Should a customer’s notice of cancellation be received and processed outside their 3-day right of rescission, it will be honored provided it is postmarked within the aforementioned 3-day period. This subscriber is encouraged...

When we signed up, we were told we could downgrade our package.

We had a lot of life events that kept us busy and never got around to calling until about a year later. We were willing to cut our losses. All we've had were errors. We had vivint come out to "fix" the problem twice, and it's always still broken.

So... We are paying them near $100 monthly for a back door lock that never works. A thermostat that is always frozen and never provides the correct temperature. We actually want it off the wall and our old one back... but hey. Cameras that are always broken. Fortunately, we haven't needed to test the alarm system ... God forbid that fails when we need it.

All we wanted to do was downgrade. Keep throwing money away for a program that doesn't work... and thus far, no success. We want out.

View more comments
Matthews, North Carolina

BEWARE of this SCAM!

We appreciate the feedback from this individual. At this time, Vivint does not seek BBB accreditation. For more information on our relationship with the Better Business Bureau, please visit: http://blog.vivint.com/2013/04/vivint-and-the-bbb/. We are committed to providing world class customer service and encourage those with questions or concerns to contact our Customer Care team at 800-216-5232.
$2000

The state of Arkansas fined Vivint/APX $40,850 for over 40 violations in 2009. The state of South Carolina fined Vivint/APX $5,000 for violating South Carolina codes by having their license cancelled in another state (Louisiana). The South Carolina order references a $50,000 fine levied by Louisiana for utilizing unlicensed employees, violation of a Cease and Desist Order and engaging in false, misleading or deceptive acts or practices. Minnesota imposed a civil penalty of $25,000 against Vivint/APX for failure to comply with licensing requirements. And last year, the Oregon Department of Justice announced a $60,000 settlement with Vivint/APX for misleading and aggressive sales practices.

Vivint, Inc., which also operates under the name APX Alarm Security Solutions, Inc., has had 1,441 complaints filed against it in the last three years, BBB's standard reporting period. Additionally, the BBB Serving Utah, where Vivint/APX is headquartered, reports that at least four states have filed government action against Vivint/APX for a variety of violations including operating without a license and using false or misleading sales tactics.

Your BBB is warning consumers to be wary of salesmen who are going door-to-door offering home security systems "at no cost." Vivint, Inc. has been the subject of numerous government actions and numerous complaints filed with BBB. Individuals in northwest Florida have alerted BBB that salesmen identifying themselves as being from Vivint, Inc. are offering "free" security systems if consumers pay for a monthly monitoring service.

eveyone i know, see, find online, etc... i am telling about the problems i have had with vivint.

i have expressed my views on every list, blog, website, Facebook, etc... about the way vivint has treated me! the business that preys on us! THIS IS A SCAM!

BEWARE! if they come to your door or your neighbors... CALL the POLICE! Notify your local BBB.

Call your local NEWS station. This is the most unscrupulous business i have EVER had the DISPLEASURE of doing business with!!!

@PissedConsumer575450

Yeah they got me too a few years ago when one of the sales man duped me and my rentor...but now they are calling me trying to "make-up" They they saw my complaint on RIPOFF Report's website.

GO there and tell your story

@PissedConsumer575450

I just recently had the system placed in my house in rancho California last week and I love it. The salesman explained everything, I never had a security system before but he showed me all the awards they had gotten from Forbes and PCWorld so I went with it.

He told me the price, activation charge, etc... There was no shady business. On the welcome call they went trough everything with me and they even asked if he was wearing his name tag and ID badge and made sure I understood Vivint was not affiliated with any other company such as ADT and some other one. I guess they have about a million customers...

Can't please them all but I'm pleased! :zzz

they are liars!! *** scam

They will not deny your cancellation. As a matter of FACT, there are several ways you can cancel your account with them.

1. Be deployed by the military out of their service area

2. Be admitted to a assisted living facility where you can no longer take care of yourself, and they have to do it for you.

3. Send them 30 day notice of cancellation, and pay off the remainder of your contract.

4. Move out of their service area

5. Get someone else to take over your contract

6. Use your 3 day right of Rescission to cancel the account within 3 days of signing up. That one is the law for all contracts signed.

Hey there are 6 ways right there that you can get out of your contract. If you have a contract, you dont just get out of it cuz you want to. You have to satisfy the terms of the agreement and so do they. If they break the rules of that agreement for you, they can be subject to legal issues for breaking a contract. So, what you are saying is that you have decided to try and get them to break the law, and just let you out with no regard for following the rules ...then when you dont get your way, you throw a fit and go online to call them a scam? Look, you SIGNED A CONTRACT. It is not their responsibility to make you read it. Your terms are clearly spelled out right there in large type on the front of the agreement. That means your monthly price, how many months your contract is, and the fact that you have 3 days right of rescission (by law) to get out of that contract with no problem. If you are not within that window, no matter WHO YOUR CONTRACT IS WITH, you dont just get out of it. You have to follow the letter of the contract.. Oh, and just because you decide you dont like it, or that you dont have the money to pay for your bill 2 years down the road, doesnt mean they are breaking their word or are a SCAM. It means you wish to break your word and bail from the contract you signed saying you will pay them for their services for 36 or 42 months. Grow up, and take responsibility for yourself. This is the exact reasoning that is used when voting away your rights in return for free welfare from the government. Everyone wants something for nothing. If you truly want out of your agreement, pay it off and send in the notice of cancellation... then to make sure, follow up with a phone call to make sure it got taken care of. I know, common sense right? You would think so.

@PissedConsumer536142

You can only go one of those routes when the first time you learn an APX ALARM/Vivint Alarm sytem was installed using your credit.

And thats to have someone else take over the acccount, which is hard to do when its installed in a rental property. Plus, after being scammed like that why would I want to help that company at all?

@PissedConsumer536142

I just found out my stepdad and mom fell for the solar. They "analysed" her bill and proclaimed "your paying way too much for electricity"

Long story short, my step dad with yet un-diagnosed dementia fell for it, bill is in my moms name and between the salesman and my ill stepdad coerced her into signing. 2 days before install he broke his hip and went completely wacky after surgery, he is now in a lock down facility.

upon going to my moms to help get her affairs in order i noticed the solar on the roof and asked her about it. I took a look at the contract Power Purchase Agreement noticed the price they charging for solar electricity produced. I did a 12 month cost analysis and found 4 months her bill will be higher and 8 months lower. Averaged over 12 months: their savings will be $1.68 a month.

I am looking into legal at this time RE: this. Coercing elderly people with a system they obviously did not need since they are already on low income CARE subsidy by the electric co. Salesperson knew this, but sold them the system anyway.

Also, the system was installed without a building permit on file (it was later acquired and inspected). The system was left by installers in the on position without electric companies knowledge creating a serious hazard for linemen potentially working in the area. The install, at best, is shoddy. Vivints pipework is atrocious, and will definatley make your house ugly!

@PissedConsumer633769

This company is currently going "door to door" in our neighborhood. They are relentless.

We have been considering going solar for a while - and what they offer sounded somewhat appealing -- but after talking to a legit/reputable solar company -- and reading endless negative things about this company, I think I'm gonna pass! Dunedad - thanks for posting this - I have found very few negative about their solar - but I'm guessing its just a matter of time before those start popping up.

And how long have you worked for Vivint numbnuts? :(

Harry,

No offense, but you really don't know what you are talking about. Vivint did not uphold their end of the contract with me, and they would not even attempt to make it right.

They wouldn't let me buy out the contract and wanted me to pay one of their technicians $70 to come out and complete the install. My contract stated that I was to have all my down stairs windows and doors monitored, but I only got the doors. When I called the salesman he avoided me for the three days and I lost the opportunity to cancel. I put my trust in him that he was going to make it right, but I was obviously wrong.

This company is a giant scam and I urge anyone thinking of signing a contract with them to really think about it. My 5 year contract with them just ran up and I am so happy to be away from them.

They never gave a *** about me while my contract was still in effect, but as soon as I let them know I wasn't going to extend it, they started offering me free months and equipment. Trust me, stay away and don't listen to Harry, who probably works for Vivint anyway.

View more comments (22)

VIVINT RIPOFF !!!!

Vivint thanks this individual for taking the time to submit a review with Pissed Consumer. While the majority of refunds are processed within the allotted timeframe, we are unable to control external factors such as mail or the customer’s financial institution. Should this subscriber wish to check the status of their refund, we are available 24/7 at 800-216-5232.
Loss

Watch out for vivint alarm company coming to your door to sell thier system. I cancelled the very next day, in MN.

we have 3 business days to do so, after reading the complaints at the BBB in Utah. They have not refunded my money as stated would be refunded within 10 days. I call and call and keep getting the run around talked to many supervisors with promises but they never credit the account.

I REPEAT DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR FINANCIAL INFORMATION OR YOU WILL HAVE THE BIGGEST HEADACHE !!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM YOU WILL BE SORRY !!!!

Did vivint ever give you a refund? I am going through the same issue.

I overnighted the cancellation and sent it certified mail to make sure they received it within 3 days.

No response, and keep trying to charge me again. Under the "Cooling of rule" they are supposed to refund you within 10 days, and come get the security system within 20.

Did vivint ever give you a refund? I am going through the same issue.

View more comments (1)

Stay Away from Vivint

Vivint recognizes this customer’s concerns and appreciates the time they took to submit their feedback. We understand that not every product fits every lifestyle and apologize for any issues with the thermostat, electronic door lock, or their refund. We urge this customer to contact our award-winning Customer Care team at 800-216-5232 to resolve any outstanding concerns.
Vivint Security System

Salesman did a great job of convincing me that this was the security service for me. After he offered me all the bells and whistles at no charge, I was sold. All I would have to pay is a monthly payment of $79. The salesman left my house and the installers arrived about an hour later (I should've known the company was shadey by the urgency to get it into my house). Its all been downhill from there.

Installation went until around 10:00 PM on a weekday so that was a huge inconvenience. The automation was sporadic and inconsistent. I'd say my iPhone linked up with my thermostats about 1 out of every 5 tries. Most of the time I just had to walk over to the thermostat and change by hand. The link to the door lock never worked. At the end of the day, I was paying around $30 more for a service that was exactly like the one I had before (with no automation). However, at this point, I was still willing to give Vivint a try since I wasnt any very happy with my previous service.

The final straw was a few days later when I was debited $289. I contacted Vivint's customer service who could see that was being charged for some of the installation items - which I was supposed to be receiving for free. As nice as the customer service is, they were completely unable to help since they couldnt see the contract I signed. I was told it could be 3 or 4 days. It just so happened that my timeframe to opt out would've expired by then. Rather convenient for Vivint.

Rather than take the chance of any further billing issues - now or in the future - I decided to cancel and get a full refund. It took me 2 calls just to get someone to confirm my cancellation was received. I called back a week later to get timing on the refund and was told the first person had cancelled the coverage but did not "reverse the invoice", and that would be done in 24 hours. I called back 2 days later and was told the invoice as "partially reversed" and that it was being corrected now, I should have my refund in 24 hours. That's where I am today - waiting on a refund after 12 calls.

The real problem with Vivint is the structure of the business. The salesman and installers are doing things with limited communication to customer service. I get the sense that customer service is legitimately concerned and would've liked to help as quickly as possible, but couldn't since the salesman and installers submitted billings which differed from what was promised. Too many heads on this monster.

I used to always shut the door on salesman that came knocking. The one time I went against my instincts and its come back to *** me in the.... Do yourself a favor, stay away from door to door salesman. But especially the ones in the fancy orange shirts with the Vivint logo.

Oh, To inform you guys better, that NARROW WINDOW of 30 days is not so narrow... it is ANYTIME PRIOR TO 30 DAYS before the contract ends..

In other words, you have to inform them that you want to cancel AT LEAST 30 days from the end of your contract.

That means that you were with them for 5 years and you had 4 years 11 months to notify them. Great job with that "Narrow " window

Kathy, you were NOT autorenewed for 3 1/2 years. The autorenewal only renews for 1 year, unless you are in a state that requires only month to month auto renewal.

If you have 42 month than you elected to renew for 42 months, and probably an upgrade on your system, or a move to your new home. Be honest!

Update: I actually had an "accounting supervisor" call me back. He seemed honestly concerned about the hassles I had gone through.

From a customer service perspective, he did exactly what he's supposed to do. He repeated all prior issues and stated resolutions or explanations as best he could. He apologized and asked for feedback on what the company could have done better. I let him know my thoughts and he closed with timing on my refund.

Two days later I got the check in the mail for the full amount. It took a while but I am officially done with Vivint.

Good luck everyone. I hope you all have some positive closer as well.

My Vivint system is bad ***. I love the thing.

I cannot recommend Vivint any longer. I was very happy with Vivint since July 21, 2007 when I first contracted their service for 5 yrs, until today when I called to cancell the service.

I recently moved out of state and missed the narrow window of contacting Vivint 30 days prior to when my contract would automatically be renewed for three and a half years! They offered to install a new and better system in the home I am in now, but couldn't without the home owner, my fiance would have to do it. He doesn't need it. So now I have to pay for a service I cannot use for 3 and 1/2 more years!

I'm thinking BBB or FCC. Any suggestions on who to contact?

Did I mention that they forced me to drive another 1000 miles for 10 cents per mile down to houston? Threatening to fire me if I didn't, which, again, would forfiet the rest of the money owed to me for the work i've done..... it's absolute insanity....

The structure of the ENTIRE company is set up exactly as the people in charge have planned it. I am a technician (installer), for two years prior to starting to work for Vivint, I installed heating and air conditioning systems, doing hard, honest work.

I was told by a friend whom I had grown up about the job, and decided to try it out. They sent me $600 to travel from georgia to illinois, right in naperville, and needless to say, after a few weeks I began to understand what was going on. I am sincerely sorry that you feel you got scammed. But just realize, this company is not just scamming its customers, it's scamming it's employees as well.

Regardless of how long it takes me to install a system, I only get $60. The salesmen get paid $500+ per sale though, and hassell us all of the way through the install, as if we were illiterate dogs, instructing us to lie to the customers or get fired essentially. Of course, they doctor up their speech. This is a terrible company, and if I were you I'd tell everyone you see in the chicago area to never pay those guys in orange any attention.

I'm ashamed to say I work for them, however, i'm about 1000 miles away from home, and i'm not making enough money to go home, and if I quit, I don't get paid the money owed to me for the installation for "special equipment" such as your faulty home automation equipment, because this dirty foul company doesn't pay for that until sometime in october, but only if I stay until august.....

oh yeah, did I mention, they had an "agreement" for me to sign as well before I could work for them.....I should have known.... i'm so disgusted ...again, on behalf of all of the employees tricked into this job, I apologize that you were decieved.

Have you finally received your refund ? I am having the same problem and sounds very similar to your situation.

View more comments (7)

Vivint Alarm Systems Screwed me Over

ID
#319218 Review #319218 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Vivint Security System

I had an alarm system with these guys and they called me up three months ago and tricked me into a verbal contract to extend my plan for 49 months, I moved to a better security system and when I tried to cancel these guys they said I owe them $1,661.59. Honestly that is a ridicules amount to charge someone just because I wanted to cancel their services and I asked around and even Lawyers say that a verbal contract isn't legally binding. I am with Titan alarm right now and they say they are behind me 100%

I have the same situation happening now. I was tricked on the phone by a smooth talking vivint seller to renew my contract for 42 months.

I am now in financial hardships and cannot get out of my contract. I can either pay in full or find another person to take over. I am not impressed with this company at all. They don't care about people.

The only thing they offer is a deferment for a few months that will get tacked onto the end of your agreement. I also learned if you lose your home or move you still owe the amount whether you use the alarm or not. Isn't this fraud?

I am currently working with them to try to cancel but have gotten no concern or compassion. I will never sign anything with them again.