Show reviews that mention
service system contract customer home customer service security phone equipment house
Filter review

VIVINT-Buyer Beware

Vivint appreciates the feedback from this individual. Employees are not required to provide their last name but are able to give their unique employee identification number. Customers are responsible for their monthly monitoring fee until the end of their agreement, regardless of when the cancellation notice was received.
Service
Vivint Service Transfer

As long as you are sending them their payment every month, you will not have a problem. After 5 years, we moved and tried to cancel our service with Vivint.

Their 'world class' customer service blew up. The rep would not give me her last name and she would not give me the name of her manager or transfer me to him. I persisted and she finally transferred me.

She left me on hold for several minutes, but I reached a supervisor.

Supervisor Robert Grimm refused to refund the $39.99 that they deducted after the cancellation notice. The supervisor agreed that they would rather keep them money and lose the customer.

Vivint's reply to:

System does not work properly

Vivint understands the concerns of this customer and appreciates their feedback. Despite tremendous advances in technology, neither the security industry nor Vivint has been able to eradicate false alarms entirely. We apologize for any inconvenience this customer experienced during scheduling. This subscriber is encouraged to contact our award winning. Customer Care team to resolve the issues outlined in their review.
Loss

We started with vivnt on may 16, 2012 when two young sales men cme to the door and gave there sales pitch so mu husband agreeded to the service they installed everything that night. But as they were getting ready to instull the equiptment the slaes people tod us we needed to give them a check for 249.00 dollars which is not what they told us at the beginning it would only be 148.99, 100.00 for equiptment and 49.00 for the first months service.

So I told thm no we did not want the service because that is not what they told us. So they told me if I worte the check for that amount they would give me 100.00 cash back so we agreeded. Since then we have had to have a tech out three time once for a low battery that happened with in weeks of getting there service after they changed the battery our hall sensor went off evertime I set the alarm when I left the house so I called them they cancelled and had to come on another date after I gave up my saturday plans to wait for them they did show up days later but tried to tell me they could only do Saturday appointments I told them no way they could come during the week. So right after they were out and tested the senor and moved it it started doing the same thing so we made anothre appointment for them to come out again so the they could cancel again.

I feel we are paying 50.00 a month for this service they should have tech avaible to show up and fix the problems with there equiptment and they don't I threatened to cancel the service and he told me I have a three year contract and they would get someone out as soon as possible.

I would not recomend any one to this company there service is *** and they just want your money every month and not have to provide service to fix there equiptment. And out police department is going to start charging for faluse call outs and I think the alarm company should have to pay for it for there faultie equiptment.

had vivint installed alarm system in my house had several alarm activation which was all false called vivint several times to report system nothing was ever done to resolve the situation have since stop paying for the service since i was never pleased try to rebooth the system only to find iout the disable all the remotes and refuse to remove their equipment would not recomend vivint to anyone beware of vivint.

This type of situation does not happen often. If you call their customer service at 800-216-5232, and ask for retention, they will transfer you.

They are the supervisors that can handle what you need. Make sure they understand that the system has been malfunctioning since day 1, they will be able to see the calls, how many times a tech has come out, what the tech did, and that you had them scheduled to come out again for the same problem. THey will either GLADLY credit your account, schedule a tech to come out and replace your system, or find some other way to work with you. They are not in the habit of making victims, as they are a growing company with cutting edge technology.

However, there does tend to be parts here and there, or technicians that do not perform up to par. For that I am sure they will apologize. I know that these issues, if they happened as you say, will be documented on yoru account and time stamped. When they see this, they will find a way to fix it as they are in retention and their job is to RETAIN you as a customer.

If you call and the rep doesnt get it done, call back and talk to someone else.

But , and please remember this, that department is not very big, so they few reps inthere that they do have, are the supervisors that handle upset people. Try to be cordial or at least friendly with them, and they will most likely go out of their way to help you.

View more comments (1)
Vivint appreciates this customers feedback. Should a customer’s notice of cancellation be received and processed outside their 3-day right of rescission, it will be honored provided it is postmarked within the aforementioned 3-day period. This subscriber is encouraged...

When we signed up, we were told we could downgrade our package.

We had a lot of life events that kept us busy and never got around to calling until about a year later. We were willing to cut our losses. All we've had were errors. We had vivint come out to "fix" the problem twice, and it's always still broken.

So... We are paying them near $100 monthly for a back door lock that never works. A thermostat that is always frozen and never provides the correct temperature. We actually want it off the wall and our old one back... but hey. Cameras that are always broken. Fortunately, we haven't needed to test the alarm system ... God forbid that fails when we need it.

All we wanted to do was downgrade. Keep throwing money away for a program that doesn't work... and thus far, no success. We want out.

Matthews, North Carolina

BEWARE of this SCAM!

We appreciate the feedback from this individual. At this time, Vivint does not seek BBB accreditation. For more information on our relationship with the Better Business Bureau, please visit: http://blog.vivint.com/2013/04/vivint-and-the-bbb/. We are committed to providing world class customer service and encourage those with questions or concerns to contact our Customer Care team at 800-216-5232.
$2000

The state of Arkansas fined Vivint/APX $40,850 for over 40 violations in 2009. The state of South Carolina fined Vivint/APX $5,000 for violating South Carolina codes by having their license cancelled in another state (Louisiana). The South Carolina order references a $50,000 fine levied by Louisiana for utilizing unlicensed employees, violation of a Cease and Desist Order and engaging in false, misleading or deceptive acts or practices. Minnesota imposed a civil penalty of $25,000 against Vivint/APX for failure to comply with licensing requirements. And last year, the Oregon Department of Justice announced a $60,000 settlement with Vivint/APX for misleading and aggressive sales practices.

Vivint, Inc., which also operates under the name APX Alarm Security Solutions, Inc., has had 1,441 complaints filed against it in the last three years, BBB's standard reporting period. Additionally, the BBB Serving Utah, where Vivint/APX is headquartered, reports that at least four states have filed government action against Vivint/APX for a variety of violations including operating without a license and using false or misleading sales tactics.

Your BBB is warning consumers to be wary of salesmen who are going door-to-door offering home security systems "at no cost." Vivint, Inc. has been the subject of numerous government actions and numerous complaints filed with BBB. Individuals in northwest Florida have alerted BBB that salesmen identifying themselves as being from Vivint, Inc. are offering "free" security systems if consumers pay for a monthly monitoring service.

eveyone i know, see, find online, etc... i am telling about the problems i have had with vivint.

i have expressed my views on every list, blog, website, Facebook, etc... about the way vivint has treated me! the business that preys on us! THIS IS A SCAM!

BEWARE! if they come to your door or your neighbors... CALL the POLICE! Notify your local BBB.

Call your local NEWS station. This is the most unscrupulous business i have EVER had the DISPLEASURE of doing business with!!!

@PissedConsumer575450

Yeah they got me too a few years ago when one of the sales man duped me and my rentor...but now they are calling me trying to "make-up" They they saw my complaint on RIPOFF Report's website.

GO there and tell your story

@PissedConsumer575450

I just recently had the system placed in my house in rancho California last week and I love it. The salesman explained everything, I never had a security system before but he showed me all the awards they had gotten from Forbes and PCWorld so I went with it.

He told me the price, activation charge, etc... There was no shady business. On the welcome call they went trough everything with me and they even asked if he was wearing his name tag and ID badge and made sure I understood Vivint was not affiliated with any other company such as ADT and some other one. I guess they have about a million customers...

Can't please them all but I'm pleased! :zzz

they are liars!! *** scam

They will not deny your cancellation. As a matter of FACT, there are several ways you can cancel your account with them.

1. Be deployed by the military out of their service area

2. Be admitted to a assisted living facility where you can no longer take care of yourself, and they have to do it for you.

3. Send them 30 day notice of cancellation, and pay off the remainder of your contract.

4. Move out of their service area

5. Get someone else to take over your contract

6. Use your 3 day right of Rescission to cancel the account within 3 days of signing up. That one is the law for all contracts signed.

Hey there are 6 ways right there that you can get out of your contract. If you have a contract, you dont just get out of it cuz you want to. You have to satisfy the terms of the agreement and so do they. If they break the rules of that agreement for you, they can be subject to legal issues for breaking a contract. So, what you are saying is that you have decided to try and get them to break the law, and just let you out with no regard for following the rules ...then when you dont get your way, you throw a fit and go online to call them a scam? Look, you SIGNED A CONTRACT. It is not their responsibility to make you read it. Your terms are clearly spelled out right there in large type on the front of the agreement. That means your monthly price, how many months your contract is, and the fact that you have 3 days right of rescission (by law) to get out of that contract with no problem. If you are not within that window, no matter WHO YOUR CONTRACT IS WITH, you dont just get out of it. You have to follow the letter of the contract.. Oh, and just because you decide you dont like it, or that you dont have the money to pay for your bill 2 years down the road, doesnt mean they are breaking their word or are a SCAM. It means you wish to break your word and bail from the contract you signed saying you will pay them for their services for 36 or 42 months. Grow up, and take responsibility for yourself. This is the exact reasoning that is used when voting away your rights in return for free welfare from the government. Everyone wants something for nothing. If you truly want out of your agreement, pay it off and send in the notice of cancellation... then to make sure, follow up with a phone call to make sure it got taken care of. I know, common sense right? You would think so.

@PissedConsumer536142

You can only go one of those routes when the first time you learn an APX ALARM/Vivint Alarm sytem was installed using your credit.

And thats to have someone else take over the acccount, which is hard to do when its installed in a rental property. Plus, after being scammed like that why would I want to help that company at all?

@PissedConsumer536142

I just found out my stepdad and mom fell for the solar. They "analysed" her bill and proclaimed "your paying way too much for electricity"

Long story short, my step dad with yet un-diagnosed dementia fell for it, bill is in my moms name and between the salesman and my ill stepdad coerced her into signing. 2 days before install he broke his hip and went completely wacky after surgery, he is now in a lock down facility.

upon going to my moms to help get her affairs in order i noticed the solar on the roof and asked her about it. I took a look at the contract Power Purchase Agreement noticed the price they charging for solar electricity produced. I did a 12 month cost analysis and found 4 months her bill will be higher and 8 months lower. Averaged over 12 months: their savings will be $1.68 a month.

I am looking into legal at this time RE: this. Coercing elderly people with a system they obviously did not need since they are already on low income CARE subsidy by the electric co. Salesperson knew this, but sold them the system anyway.

Also, the system was installed without a building permit on file (it was later acquired and inspected). The system was left by installers in the on position without electric companies knowledge creating a serious hazard for linemen potentially working in the area. The install, at best, is shoddy. Vivints pipework is atrocious, and will definatley make your house ugly!

@PissedConsumer633769

This company is currently going "door to door" in our neighborhood. They are relentless.

We have been considering going solar for a while - and what they offer sounded somewhat appealing -- but after talking to a legit/reputable solar company -- and reading endless negative things about this company, I think I'm gonna pass! Dunedad - thanks for posting this - I have found very few negative about their solar - but I'm guessing its just a matter of time before those start popping up.

And how long have you worked for Vivint numbnuts? :(

Harry,

No offense, but you really don't know what you are talking about. Vivint did not uphold their end of the contract with me, and they would not even attempt to make it right.

They wouldn't let me buy out the contract and wanted me to pay one of their technicians $70 to come out and complete the install. My contract stated that I was to have all my down stairs windows and doors monitored, but I only got the doors. When I called the salesman he avoided me for the three days and I lost the opportunity to cancel. I put my trust in him that he was going to make it right, but I was obviously wrong.

This company is a giant scam and I urge anyone thinking of signing a contract with them to really think about it. My 5 year contract with them just ran up and I am so happy to be away from them.

They never gave a *** about me while my contract was still in effect, but as soon as I let them know I wasn't going to extend it, they started offering me free months and equipment. Trust me, stay away and don't listen to Harry, who probably works for Vivint anyway.

View more comments (22)

VIVINT RIPOFF !!!!

Vivint thanks this individual for taking the time to submit a review with Pissed Consumer. While the majority of refunds are processed within the allotted timeframe, we are unable to control external factors such as mail or the customer’s financial institution. Should this subscriber wish to check the status of their refund, we are available 24/7 at 800-216-5232.
Loss

Watch out for vivint alarm company coming to your door to sell thier system. I cancelled the very next day, in MN.

we have 3 business days to do so, after reading the complaints at the BBB in Utah. They have not refunded my money as stated would be refunded within 10 days. I call and call and keep getting the run around talked to many supervisors with promises but they never credit the account.

I REPEAT DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR FINANCIAL INFORMATION OR YOU WILL HAVE THE BIGGEST HEADACHE !!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM YOU WILL BE SORRY !!!!

Did vivint ever give you a refund? I am going through the same issue.

I overnighted the cancellation and sent it certified mail to make sure they received it within 3 days.

No response, and keep trying to charge me again. Under the "Cooling of rule" they are supposed to refund you within 10 days, and come get the security system within 20.

Did vivint ever give you a refund? I am going through the same issue.

View more comments (1)

Stay Away from Vivint

Vivint recognizes this customer’s concerns and appreciates the time they took to submit their feedback. We understand that not every product fits every lifestyle and apologize for any issues with the thermostat, electronic door lock, or their refund. We urge this customer to contact our award-winning Customer Care team at 800-216-5232 to resolve any outstanding concerns.
Vivint Security System

Salesman did a great job of convincing me that this was the security service for me. After he offered me all the bells and whistles at no charge, I was sold. All I would have to pay is a monthly payment of $79. The salesman left my house and the installers arrived about an hour later (I should've known the company was shadey by the urgency to get it into my house). Its all been downhill from there.

Installation went until around 10:00 PM on a weekday so that was a huge inconvenience. The automation was sporadic and inconsistent. I'd say my iPhone linked up with my thermostats about 1 out of every 5 tries. Most of the time I just had to walk over to the thermostat and change by hand. The link to the door lock never worked. At the end of the day, I was paying around $30 more for a service that was exactly like the one I had before (with no automation). However, at this point, I was still willing to give Vivint a try since I wasnt any very happy with my previous service.

The final straw was a few days later when I was debited $289. I contacted Vivint's customer service who could see that was being charged for some of the installation items - which I was supposed to be receiving for free. As nice as the customer service is, they were completely unable to help since they couldnt see the contract I signed. I was told it could be 3 or 4 days. It just so happened that my timeframe to opt out would've expired by then. Rather convenient for Vivint.

Rather than take the chance of any further billing issues - now or in the future - I decided to cancel and get a full refund. It took me 2 calls just to get someone to confirm my cancellation was received. I called back a week later to get timing on the refund and was told the first person had cancelled the coverage but did not "reverse the invoice", and that would be done in 24 hours. I called back 2 days later and was told the invoice as "partially reversed" and that it was being corrected now, I should have my refund in 24 hours. That's where I am today - waiting on a refund after 12 calls.

The real problem with Vivint is the structure of the business. The salesman and installers are doing things with limited communication to customer service. I get the sense that customer service is legitimately concerned and would've liked to help as quickly as possible, but couldn't since the salesman and installers submitted billings which differed from what was promised. Too many heads on this monster.

I used to always shut the door on salesman that came knocking. The one time I went against my instincts and its come back to *** me in the.... Do yourself a favor, stay away from door to door salesman. But especially the ones in the fancy orange shirts with the Vivint logo.

Oh, To inform you guys better, that NARROW WINDOW of 30 days is not so narrow... it is ANYTIME PRIOR TO 30 DAYS before the contract ends..

In other words, you have to inform them that you want to cancel AT LEAST 30 days from the end of your contract.

That means that you were with them for 5 years and you had 4 years 11 months to notify them. Great job with that "Narrow " window

Kathy, you were NOT autorenewed for 3 1/2 years. The autorenewal only renews for 1 year, unless you are in a state that requires only month to month auto renewal.

If you have 42 month than you elected to renew for 42 months, and probably an upgrade on your system, or a move to your new home. Be honest!

Update: I actually had an "accounting supervisor" call me back. He seemed honestly concerned about the hassles I had gone through.

From a customer service perspective, he did exactly what he's supposed to do. He repeated all prior issues and stated resolutions or explanations as best he could. He apologized and asked for feedback on what the company could have done better. I let him know my thoughts and he closed with timing on my refund.

Two days later I got the check in the mail for the full amount. It took a while but I am officially done with Vivint.

Good luck everyone. I hope you all have some positive closer as well.

My Vivint system is bad ***. I love the thing.

I cannot recommend Vivint any longer. I was very happy with Vivint since July 21, 2007 when I first contracted their service for 5 yrs, until today when I called to cancell the service.

I recently moved out of state and missed the narrow window of contacting Vivint 30 days prior to when my contract would automatically be renewed for three and a half years! They offered to install a new and better system in the home I am in now, but couldn't without the home owner, my fiance would have to do it. He doesn't need it. So now I have to pay for a service I cannot use for 3 and 1/2 more years!

I'm thinking BBB or FCC. Any suggestions on who to contact?

Did I mention that they forced me to drive another 1000 miles for 10 cents per mile down to houston? Threatening to fire me if I didn't, which, again, would forfiet the rest of the money owed to me for the work i've done..... it's absolute insanity....

The structure of the ENTIRE company is set up exactly as the people in charge have planned it. I am a technician (installer), for two years prior to starting to work for Vivint, I installed heating and air conditioning systems, doing hard, honest work.

I was told by a friend whom I had grown up about the job, and decided to try it out. They sent me $600 to travel from georgia to illinois, right in naperville, and needless to say, after a few weeks I began to understand what was going on. I am sincerely sorry that you feel you got scammed. But just realize, this company is not just scamming its customers, it's scamming it's employees as well.

Regardless of how long it takes me to install a system, I only get $60. The salesmen get paid $500+ per sale though, and hassell us all of the way through the install, as if we were illiterate dogs, instructing us to lie to the customers or get fired essentially. Of course, they doctor up their speech. This is a terrible company, and if I were you I'd tell everyone you see in the chicago area to never pay those guys in orange any attention.

I'm ashamed to say I work for them, however, i'm about 1000 miles away from home, and i'm not making enough money to go home, and if I quit, I don't get paid the money owed to me for the installation for "special equipment" such as your faulty home automation equipment, because this dirty foul company doesn't pay for that until sometime in october, but only if I stay until august.....

oh yeah, did I mention, they had an "agreement" for me to sign as well before I could work for them.....I should have known.... i'm so disgusted ...again, on behalf of all of the employees tricked into this job, I apologize that you were decieved.

Have you finally received your refund ? I am having the same problem and sounds very similar to your situation.

View more comments (7)

Vivint Alarm Systems Screwed me Over

We're sorry that you had a bad experience with out company! We pride ourselves on having the best customer service in the industry. Our customers should be able to rely on us any time, day or night, which is why our reps are available 24x7x365 to resolve any issue that comes our way. If you're experiencing difficulties with your system or your service please give us a call at 800.216.5232, or email us at support@vivint.com for assistance. We also welcome any feedback on our products and services. Thank you!
ID
#319218 Review #319218 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Vivint Security System

I had an alarm system with these guys and they called me up three months ago and tricked me into a verbal contract to extend my plan for 49 months, I moved to a better security system and when I tried to cancel these guys they said I owe them $1,661.59. Honestly that is a ridicules amount to charge someone just because I wanted to cancel their services and I asked around and even Lawyers say that a verbal contract isn't legally binding. I am with Titan alarm right now and they say they are behind me 100%

I have the same situation happening now. I was tricked on the phone by a smooth talking vivint seller to renew my contract for 42 months.

I am now in financial hardships and cannot get out of my contract. I can either pay in full or find another person to take over. I am not impressed with this company at all. They don't care about people.

The only thing they offer is a deferment for a few months that will get tacked onto the end of your agreement. I also learned if you lose your home or move you still owe the amount whether you use the alarm or not. Isn't this fraud?

I am currently working with them to try to cancel but have gotten no concern or compassion. I will never sign anything with them again.

Vivint sucks

Vivint thanks this customer for taking the time to submit their feedback. Faulty equipment is replaced by our trained technicians, should the initial problem persist after that, we replace the faulty equipment with devices better suited for the customer’s lifestyle. All customers are made aware of the length of their agreement, both in writing on the face of
the paperwork and during a required pre-installation survey.
Loss

Me and my fiance purchased Vivint alarm services last summer.We had a door to door salesman come and said that we needed to get an alarm.That all our neighbors got one and their has been several burglaries in the area.BS. Well most neighbors got one,but no robberies,burglaries in area.Small quiet town.Well was promised install was free and we could cancel after 18 months.Well system is a joke several false alarms.We had Police called 3 times every time false alarm.Faulty motion sensor!

WE had tech out adjusted than replaced motion sensor.Still had problems.Police Dept had sent us a letter that we had to fix problem and they would charge us for each call,response.So we tried to cancel service.SO long story short had to file complaint with Ag's office. Vivint said we had to pay over 2000to get out of our contract.SO we eventually spoke to Investigators at AG'S. Office in Utah.Well shd said they haveso many complaints the assigned a Dept just to handle these complaints.Well we agreed to payback few hundred for install fees.But we were out the contract! Total *** service,products,contracts.We.

Don't recommend Vivint to anyone.Total scam.The other day a salesman came to our door to sale us Vivint! Really Evan after we posted no soliciting sign and expressed our concerns.they still try total aggressive sales.Buyer's be aware..

I wish I had checked the BBB website before I signed with vivint. They lied and misled me, and now they won't do anything to make it right.

Same old story...."sorry, there's nothing we can do for you" One customer service guy even tried to put the blame on me and not the rep who lied to me. Vivint is manipulative to the extreme, and then completely heartless when you realize what you've just gotten yourself into.

My husband is on our fire department and he gets called out on so many false alarms because of vivint. Not only do they participate in immoral business practices, but their service stinks as well....

it is easy to have them stop taking money out of your accounts...just go to the bank and pay the 10 bucks or so it costs to put a stop payment on the account with vivint simple and easy and they can never take another dollar from you

We had their service for over 3 years and rarely used it. We moved out of our house and faxed the cancellation letter a month before we closed...

We got charged after we moved out in July- we called them and they claimed they never got our letter or it was lost and told us to email a cancellation letter. We didn't get charged in August so we thought it had been handled. now we are being charged for September. We called a couple times- first person we talked to said they have record of our cancel letter- next person said there is no record of them ever getting it and our contract auto renewed for another year...

And we haven't lived there for months!! They said there is nothing they can do now.

And we were threatened if we stop payment at the bank they will just send it to collections. What do I do to get out of this service???

Vivint acts unethical when it comes to cancelling service. They make it extremely difficult to cancel with long hold times and other tactics.

Whenever you call in regards to cancellation you are transferred to customer care aka (account retenetion department). These people try to play a fear factor game and insist that you need security. They try to be relentless with their sales pitch and will try to frustrate you. If you do manage to persevere and proceed to cancel service, they will invoke the 30 days notice that they require in an attempt to stick it to you.

I called in at the beginning of August to cancel serive. I was told they needed it in writing. I finally got around to faxing the written request to them on Aug 14th. They never responded.

I was billed again on Aug 28th and they refuse to refund the last billing because they claim a 30 day in advance notice rule according to contract. Please take heed and stay away from his company.

I surely wont miss them. You should never feel imprisoned with any service you acquire.

#519778

I cancelled my contract the day after purchase. They lie just like Kidcali said above with things thats happening in the neighborhood.

I would not recommend their service. In fact I was told by customer service today after calling, we have your cancellation notice but it takes awhile for it to go through so we keep charging your credit card.

When it finally goes through the system, we will give a full refund. My contract said 10 business days

Back in May of 2012 my 85 year old Mother accidently pressed her panic button which is of poor design, not recessed enough and doesn't take much to set it off. We were on the phone with one of Vivint's Customer Service Representatives giving them the Password and Pass code asking them to shut off the Alarm as all was well and we were in route up to her house.

They said that they had. Upon arrival there was a Salt Lake City Police Officer then shortly later a Rent a Cop showed up. She received a $100 fine for a False Alarm from the City and a $25 fee from Vivint.

Trying to talk to "Customer Service" laugh, explaining to them what transpired they said they couldn't help us. Asking to speak to a Manager again they said they couldn't help us.

There has to be a better service out there.

e first had your system installed in March of 2011 in Fruita Colorado. Your techs were efficient and your system worked great. The only problem we ever had was with your customer service / tech support. After a time change such as daylight savings time it would take about 2 weeks for our system to display the correct times. This was annoying because all of our programs were off by an hour…

All in all thought the service was good and having the ability to control the thermostats via our phones was definitely a money saving tool.

Then we moved to Texas…

We had our current system in stalled in late March 2012 and have had nothing but problems with every aspect from customer service to hardware.

The first installer – Jesus took almost 10 hours to install the system, there was an existing system that he took over.. He did not split out the individual sensors on our system – all doors were lumped together and all the windows were lumped together. When I questioned him about this he said that it could not be separated. He also installed 2 motion detectors pointing towards our windows.

Needless to say it did not take long to have the alarm to get tripped.. We have a pool cleaning service and when they came in the back yard this set off the alarm because of the motion detectors being pointed at the windows. I spent time on the phone with the support that blamed it on our 7-pound dog… The problem with this theory is that we had the same system (including motion detectors) in Colorado and our 7-pound dog NEVER set off the system there…

So moving on – we had top set up an appointment to have a different tech come out to look into the motion detector issue. The second tech came out and moved the motion detectors and also said that he set them so our dog would bot set them off. He also separated the windows and doors so that they were all individual sensors – so we would know when the BACK or FRONT door was opened and not just ENTRY door… He also did not have very nice things to say about the initial tech and that it should not have taken 10 hours to install.. Oh well – we were glad that the system was fixed so we moved on.

Or so we thought….

The motion detectors were not fixed.. our dog of a mere 7 pounds was still setting the sensors off. So as I drove to my second graders school play ( that I would end up missing the first part of) I talked on the phone with your tech support again. I ended up telling them to just bypass them permanently because you guys were incompetent and I was not going to take any more time out of my day to wait for a technician or waste time on phone calls for false alarms..

So they bypassed the sensors – so thus the system that I originally had set up, the original system that I signed a contract for was not installed in my new house because we did not have motion detectors.

Oh well at least we have the thermostats…..

The next issues was we were charged 60 dollars for our monthly service when we were told our monthly cost was 56.90… (or close to that). I called spent yet more time on the phone – customer service could not answer my question and told me that they would have to send the issue to the billing department that would in turn research the problem. 3 weeks later my wife receives a call saying that our monthly charge is 56.90 (or something close to that). I called back and asked where my credit was if the charge was not supposed to be 60.. I was told a credit was being put through.

Now back to the Thermostat problem. I discovered that the upstairs thermostat was not communicating with the control panel – thus it had been stuck on 72 degrees for who knows how long (insert loss of money and high electric bill). I called tech support and was told that they needed to get yet another tech out to look at it. I inquired about the credit (it had been a couple of weeks by this time) and there was no credit… That was the last straw!

I tried to cancel your service but was told you have 2 choices:

1. Pay us 1995.00 ( the remainder of your contract)

2. We will continue to pull 60 some odd dollars a month out of your account until the contract is fulfilled.

Well since we have no choice and are being held hostage by your company – we had a tech come out that day and install repeaters or wireless control modules to strengthen the signal in the house. It was funny the Tech was the same tech that installed the system and he said this is a big house they probably should have been installed in the first place….. WOW that’s funny!!!!!! (NOT AT ALL)

Oh well now I feel warm and fuzzy and safe as we go out of town knowing that the crack team at Vivint is protecting my home… OH wait why are they calling???

Vivint called my wife’s cell phone on Sunday May 13th during my 7 year olds birthday party at Chuck E Cheese… Did I mention that I was at a Birthday party for my son?

I called back and found out that all of the sensors in our house are showing low battery.. that’s weird because they are all wired… So I sat on the phone yet again with your tech support for about 20 minutes, oh did I mention that I was at my son’s birthday party? I was assured that our house was safe and still armed… Not sure I believe any of that - if the sensors are showing low battery are they going to react if someone breaks in??? How should I know I am 2000 miles away – the time when I need your system to work guess what – you FAIL again…

So I set up an appointment for Thursday May17th between 11 and 2 and was told I would have to pay 49 dollars to get the tech out there… I was about to loose my mind at this – I stated very colorfully that I was not going to pay a dime…. After a few more minutes on the phone it was confirmed that I did not have to pay… So back to the party – did I mention O was at my 7 year olds birthday party.. Oh Yes that’s right I did..

So here we are on Monday May 14, 2012 and we receive an automated call that a technician will be out to our house tomorrow, Tuesday May 15th between 8-10.. WHAT, push 1 if this is not correct – OK I will push 1.. What it hung up!!

So here I am calling your tech support again – Did I mention I was out of town on Vacation – Oh yes I did. I know what we should do today – lets call Vivint and put them on speaker it will be fun for the whole family!!!

So I Digress – So I call and spend another 10 minutes on the phone to discover that “Wow that’s weird” and “I understand your upset” Customer service ***… To get the appointment set to the correct day, the day that was set up on Sunday..

So here I am writing this novel while on vacation – your right that’s my choice. You have pushed me over the edge, your company has fallen short of even basic service on every front but there is nothing I can do except bend over and take it..

In closing – I too work for a company, a very large company that I have been with or 6 years. Our customers are Contractors and Operators in the oilfield. We provide both hardware, software and service solutions to them but we don’t utilize contracts. We believe that if you are not happy with our solutions then you are not obligated to stay with us. WE STAND BEHIND OUR PRODUCTS SO MUCH THAT WE DON’T ROPE PEOPLE IN WITH CONTRACTS! If you are not satisfied we don’t want you to have to stick around…. Hm.. Sounds like a good philosophy – Provide top-notch products and services and allow people to decide….

In closing I will be sending this to any one that will listen – Websites, Blogs, top officials of your company….

Your service and equipment have not lived up to your end of the contract since we have moved in the lease but that’s all right – your going to get your money right!! – in the end that’s al that matters to you correct – not that fact that you fall short on all fronts..

Thanks

Mike Durden

11 Wimberly Way

Conroe, Texas 77385

Mike.durden@pason.com

View more comments (8)
Vivint's reply to:

Big hastle just to cancel a service

We would like to thank this individual for bringing this situation to our attention. Vivint takes all feedback seriously; we apologize for any issues this customer experienced during the disconnection of their monitoring service. Corporate policy has been updated since this review was submitted.
ID

Contract was about to end and told these people I did not want to continue signed contract when it was APX Alarm the people were a little pushy trying to get me in on another system was told to send a writen letter 30 days in advance explaining why. Sent the letter called back 2 weeks to to see if they had gotten this was told yes that everything was fine all I needed to do is send one more payment.

I sent my payment like a month before my contract ended. This company is still trying to charge me for 2 months have called several times get put on hold to see why I keep getting bills last time I called was told to send one more payment never been through such a hastle just to cancel a service I would not recomend this company to anyone.

I'd like to cancel my contract with Vivint. Had a problem on 9/13/12.

My alarm went off at 4:30 am and nobody came to the two way to ask if there was a problem which They have done previously when we forgot to turn it off. The alarm was piercing, I unplugged it and it still rang, pulled it off the wall trying to get it to turn off. Finally had to unplug the back up batteries. I've called them telling them what happened, told them that since there wasn't anyway they could monitor my home I wasn't going to pay for it and I'd like to cancel.

There still sending me a bill. I'm looking for a lawyer, or if there is a buy out in order to cancel, I'd be willing to talk about it.

Just another sucker. Called to cancel, was told to send them a letter.

They got it 5 days after my renewal and renewed me for another year. From talking to them on the phone, they must go through this pretty regularly, they were well verse in the "too bad, you signed the contract, nothing we can do"....Live and learn and SPREAD THE WORD

I don't want VIVINT, don't use VIVINT, can't stand VIVINT.

What a Scam!

I find it hard to believe that so many people are complaining about the same thing and we have no recourse but to keep paying. I, too, am sucked into another year of donating to their scam.

We continue paying so that they won't give us bad credit.

What a racket!!!!!!! They operate by threats.

@PissedConsumer550141

Same sucker, I just unplugged the system and let my credit take a hit. Lies, trickery, swindled same thing as everybody else. Wish there was a class action lawsuit, but same thing you signed it, pay forever muahaha(evil laugh)...Never want to hear vivints name again..

Dear "bahahaha",

The monthly fee is most certainly not for the monitoring which is performed by "vivint" itself, but rather, it is so that they can pay their salesmen $500+ for the sale, and make a profit off of the equipment that they essentially forced into these people's houses through trickery and deception, after paying the technician a measly $60 for however long it took them to install it. With this company, the more lies you can tell, the bigger your paycheck is. So please, realize, nobody is paying attention to your less than intelligent statements.

Sincerely, a technician who has seen this company from the inside out....

They cant sign a continued contract for you ya *** - once your contract is up all you have to do is tell them youre done with it and they will discontinue the monitoring service - thats what your monthly fee pays for..

***!

View more comments (5)
Vivint's reply to:

Vivint appreciates this customer voicing their concerns. All Vivint equipment (excluding batteries) is covered under warranty. Customers are never required to pay for replacement of warranted equipment. We do, however ask that they are responsible for a $49 service...

Vivint does have cutting edge technology that helps makes you feel secure but they way they treat their customers after they have you hook line and sinker, they treat you like dirt on the floor. One of the worst things that could happen to a person as far as work related is to lose your house.

Due to previously being unemployed for 5 months and recently getting the job that paid a lot less than I had made before, I was not able to keep my house. When the rep came to MY doorstep and I explained that I wouldn't be able to afford the plan he kept forcing it on me. I said I couldn't afford it. He then said he'd give me a few months free.

I told him I still wasn't comfortable with it. He kept pressing me and taking advantage of me living by myself as a female. I was also told if I worse came to worse and I couldn't afford my house that the company would work with me. That is far from the truth!

I told them I had to sell my house because I couldn't afford it anymore and they said I was locked into my contract. They could cut the contract if they wanted to but wouldn't. I feel used and lied to. I would NEVER recommend this security system company to anyone unless they can predict the future and know they won't move for at least 4 years.

Fed a bunch of lies and feel taken advantage of a terrible situation.

Atlanta, Georgia

Unethical, Stole my Money

Vivint thanks this customer for their feedback. While we require a written notice of cancellation to disconnect service, Vivint has a moves team dedicated to protecting our subscribers regardless of where they relocate to. Customers are always encouraged to have their service moved with them. Corporate policy has been updated since this review was filed and situations such as this are reviewed on an account-by-account basis.
ID

I signed a 3 year contract with them and had to move 2 years in. when i moved they stated i needed to retain the service as i signed a three year deal.

they would not take back the system they just wanted their money for the rest of the contract. Ok very mad but i did sign a 3 year contract. So after a very heated conversation with them i decided it was not worth the argument anymore and paid the balance for the remaining year roughly $600 and told them to cancel. now all most a year and a half later i get a bill at my new address saying they are going to send my outstanding balance to collections.

the bill was for $200 (4 months) they state that since they did not receive a written cancellation notice they renewed my contract for 1 year. Ok it gets even better when i contacted them stating that i canceled this service they said ok so i would just need to pay for the remaining term of the 1 year extension ($600).

they where unwilling to do anything about this. After threatening a law suit reporting them to BBB talking with almost all of their management staff they finally credited me for the one year extension but this took hours and action before they would do anything.

I will say my real name I do not care. And if anyone has ideas about how to handle this please email me @ carolyn.black2007@yahoo.com

This initially started with a move.

I have until dec 2013 on this contract and I was just going to have them send me a final bill and pay the remainder. but now I am pissed. We were in the process of moving when we returned to the old house and the alarm was going off becuase the side door was open. This was at 6pm at night and the alarm had been going off since 4 am.

I never recieved a call from them. So I called to find out why and the rep. said I haven't been monitored since feb 2013. This is a couple of days ago.

Well they sure as *** have been taking my money every month. So I call back sat. to talk to billing. She tells me it hasn't been monitored since jan.

WtF. I have been paying every month and now I have been paying for nothing. Of course I call today and there is no way they can compensate me because the unanswered alarm just happened friday. What about the months of payment for no service.

Im going to report to the consumer agency here in texas. Any thing else I need to do because I am royally pissed

Fail.

Sucks you signed into a 3 year contract and *** happened and you have to move. ALl you have to do is call vivint and they have a department for moving the system into your new home.

Its not their fault your situation resulted in you needing to move. You still have a signed agreement with the company for another year.. Either pay for it, or set up for a tech to come move the system into your new home..

These complaints are not very legit ones. Seems like its all issues are with you and not vivint.

Vivint has refused to stop debiting my account since May 2011, I have relocated and have paid $350.00 since relocating! They give you the run-a-round, refuse to transfer you to cancellation and discourage you from getting any help!

I have exhausted myself on many occasions in my communicating with them. I have repeatedly verbalized my right to revoke their unethical, unauthorized debiting of my checking account (the last time was Nov 1, 2011) I also emailed them and they went right ahead and debited me again today (Dec 2 2011). How can a company commit to protect us when in fact, they are robbing us, holding us hostage to illegal, unethical, trickery and dishonest practices. This behavior is outrageous!

Just because apx changed their name to vivint , it doesn't give them a clean slate. They are crooks!Period

@PissedConsumer384368

I have never felt compelled to respond to one of these posts; however, what you described is more or less what happened to me (and most other Vivint customers I'm sure).

If Vivint won't behave in a professional manner, we must protect ourselves. You can always stop paying for what you are not getting. Stop payments can be placed on auto debits, new bank accounts and credit cards can be opened and the old ones closed or having a balance low enough that the auto withdrawal cannot be made. After all, if they are stealing from you by not providing goods and/or services for which you are paying, you should have the right to protect yourself. If you do this, see how quickly they start calling you.

I learned a long time ago that if you ^%$# with someone's money, it will get their attention.

Also, read the back of your contract, specifically. paragraph 4 - Buyer's Right to Cancel. It lists the various conditions for cancellation. For example, if you don't get the goods or services promised, within 30 days, you have one year in which to cancel. Do it in writing, by mail and email; keep a paper trail; in short, be a real pain in Vivint's southern hemisphere.

I'm not sure of your age so you may not remember the big Ford scandal when a lot of Ford's car doors rusted out very quickly and very badly, a group of consumers got together and formed FORD (Fix Our Rusty Doors). What they figured out was that Ford could blow them off individually but a big group makes big noise and gets a lot of press. No company wants that - not even a sucky company like Vivint. Perhaps, we need to form a similar group to get Vivint's attention. After reading all the complaints online, I don't think it would be too difficult to raise a substantial group.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Regards, Not Gonna Take It.

I was actually an APX customer. I just recently moved and had not even thought about the security system because it did not work properly so I haven't used it in the year prior to moving.

What made me think of the security system is that Vivint double billed my account. They would not review my account until I had the verbal pass word that they had to send me.

Just now after getting off the phone for the last two hours I have to send them a bank statement showing that they double billed me and that they supposedly sent my refund back in October. I would not recommend this company to my worse enemy.

Vivint sucks! Why on earth did you go with them?

vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints vivint complaints

vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews vivint reviews

vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint vivint

View more comments (8)
Vivint's reply to:

Vivint thanks this individual for taking the time to submit a review with Pissed Consumer. Vivint employees are never provided with a customer’s actual credit score. A hard credit inquiry is never run without the express permission from the customer. A soft (no impact)...

My contract was coming to an end a representative called and asked if I would like to renew, I asked that they call back in a week so I could think about it. The woman called back I told her I wasn't going to renew and if there was anything I needed to do, she told me there wasn't and I would be all set.

The next month I saw they took another payment from my bank account so I called and was told when the contract ends they bill monthly, I told them that was not explained to me that I was told I was all set only to be told that I must have been told the cancellation process, I told them I wasn't told and got nothing but a run around. Needless to say I am out $48.95 which I told the rep to shove up his *** and told him I would give them nothing but bad reviews on every website.

Huntington, West Virginia